How to Install HD2 on Linux

3 years 11 months ago #31 by Faryart
Replied by Faryart on topic How to Install HD2 on Linux
Спасибо за помощь! Проблма была в том, что в директории игры папка missions и Missions, родная папка первая, поэтому и не работало!
Thanks for the help! The Mission and Mission folder, the native folder is the first, therefore, it did not work when copying files!:D :gj:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Damni, WANGER

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 11 months ago #32 by WANGER
Replied by WANGER on topic How to Install HD2 on Linux
No Problem Glade you solve it )))

Нет Проблем Рад был помочь ) ) :gj:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damni

3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #33 by Nikita
Replied by Nikita on topic How to Install HD2 on Linux
Well, as I said in the "What's Up at Home Today" forum, I have decided to phase out Windows and switch to a Linux distribution. It has already been done since yesterday for my main computer, and that was my first goal. At the moment, and next to this computer, I still keep Windows 7 on a pair of old enough computers that are linked and that i use for running old games, including H&D2, on a PvP configuration. I also run Windows 7 on another reserve computer that i keep, also old but enough to browse the net and also can be used for storage. That is for now.

The Linux distribution that i choose is Linux Mint 20 Ulyana, Cinnamon edition. I'll see later, with some more experience, if i stay with it or if i try anotther one, as Arch. Of course, i make it step by step because Linux is new enough for me, but it seems to work pretty well and also pretty fast. One of my next steps will be to try to install and run a full H&D2 setup on this Linux, that's why i post here. I've read some about Wine, used for running Windows apps on Linux, i'm going to try it and see what it gives. I'll report here about the evolution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doc

3 years 7 months ago #34 by WANGER
Replied by WANGER on topic How to Install HD2 on Linux
Take your time no worries nothing intersting happen so far very quiet to be honest , but i wish you luck with found the perfect operation system : )
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikita, Doc

3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #35 by Nikita
Replied by Nikita on topic How to Install HD2 on Linux

Ok, some news about my Linux adventures. As i previously said, the goal is to run Windows apps, and especially H&D2, by using WineHQ. So this is the method that i used.

Note : This method assumes that any previous Wine installation is removed before processing. Indeed, i made my first attempts to instal WineHQ by using the GUI and it failed i don't know why. So i went on the web looking for informations and some tutos say that it's better to instal WineHQ by using the terminal and from a "clean" setup (that sounds logical even for a noob like me) so i removed everything that was previously instaled by these failing attempts and then i started a new instal of WineHQ with this method using the terminal.

1- Start a terminal.

Ctrl+Alt+T

2- For LinuxMint 64 bits, activate 32 bits architecture.

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

3- Download public key for Wine repository.

wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key

4- Import this downloaded key to system keyring.

sudo apt-key add winehq.key

5- Add Wine repository.

sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ focal main'

6- Update package repository cache.

sudo apt update

7- Install Wine stable version.

sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable

8- Run Wine configuration program.

winecfg

Note : That command also runs some stuff called "Wine mono" and "Wine gecko" packages. Quite honestly i don't even know what is this stuff and what it does, but it does instal without making me shit, so that's fine enough for me.

Well, once everything above is done, WineHQ is operational and available on right click.

Now, let's see what i did with H&D2.

First, i tried to instal my own game. I inserted the 1st disk, opened it, looked for the setup exe and right click on "Open with Wine". It seemed to start well but something went wrong with the next cds and finally the instal failed. So i used my "B" plan by downloading and installing the copy i bought on GoG, that is the same Courage Under Fire package comming with H&D2 and SS. I made the same process by right clicking the downloaded stuff and "Open with Wine" and the game instal without any problem. I checked it just one hour ago and it works perfectly, at least on single player mode. One thing after another, tomorrow i'll see what it gives with online playing. For tonight, let's say i finish with a total victory...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Damni, WANGER, Doc

3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #36 by Doc
Replied by Doc on topic How to Install HD2 on Linux
You, sir, are a master!

For online play, don't forget to activate DirectPlay.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikita, WANGER

• Lukasz birthday is in 10 days (41)