Servers gamespy down and up?

3 years 11 months ago #7 by Mix
Replied by Mix on topic Servers gamespy down and up?
The both of us don't have the GOG or the Steam version.
We both have the original version + Sabre Squadron + all updates + cmp 1.6

However we DO use the widescreen fix!
When the game runs and I look in the registry, it still has the original key.
So, I don't think it effects us.

Yesterday, I tested it with another pc without the widescreenfix. The pc was on another network ofcourse and it still got the "wrong cd key" error.

It should not matter if you join a game. Only the host needs a valid key.
But we both have valid keys. And again: it always worked.
In the past we also sometimes got the wrong cd key error, but there was
always a different reason for error. Maybe the game just likes to say "wrong cd key" even if you have the right key anyway. ;-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 11 months ago #8 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic Servers gamespy down and up?
It's not true that only the host needs to have a valid key.
AND it doesn't matter if you tried another computer from another network if you still used the same key.

"Straight and narrow is the path."

3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #9 by Mix
I believe you, but then why did it work in the past?
A litlle history: Way back in time my friend bought the game and advised me to do the same. I did ofcourse.
For years we played together. After my divorce and moving to another city, I could not find my copy of the game anymore.
So, I bought a new one. Second hand ofcourse in a local game store. The only reason that I bought it the
second time was that than I would have a legit copy again with a valid serial number. Since I only had the ISO's left on an external hard drive.
But guess what: it didn't have a valid serial number. It was written with a pen on the back of the manual. With that serial number I could not host a game, but I could join his game when he hosted.
When I entered the serial number of my friend in the registery, I could host a game. We did that for years. We could both host games. So, you don't have to have a valid key to join someone elses game. When I tested with 2 pc's the other day, I used 2 different keys and after a while I did some testing again with the valid key on both machines.
Here are 2 links with images, so you can see that I am not a pirat.
https://imgshare.io/image/fyzx9
https://imgshare.io/image/fI6DO

3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #10 by Mix
I know that Steam and GOG sell the game again. It's not a problem for me to buy it again ofcourse.
But why should I do that? I already bought the game twice.
The whole serial thing changed and I don't know what happens with my current install.
What I understand is, that you have to change the key in the register every time you start the game.
And I don't know if you can play with someone who has the original.
I manually changed maplist and that was a lot of work. Also a lot of customized stuff.
It already gives me headaches when I think about it. But if that's the only thing I can do. I'll do it.

3 years 11 months ago #11 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic Servers gamespy down and up?
No, don't buy the game again. Just do what Shay mentioned and later
I'll send you valid keys via private message here on the forum so you
can test. You guys can join one of our servers to see if you can both
join on the same online server... only after that we can think how to
make the hosting work for you.

"Straight and narrow is the path."

3 years 11 months ago #12 by Mix
after some more testing:
Although we both don't have the Steam/GOG version, we still added "InsertKey = 0" in the widescreenfix.
It did not solve anything. I checked the register while running the game on my pc and on my friend's pc.
Before and after altering the widescreenfix there was no change at all. We still had the original key in the register.
We also tested to join one of RPR servers. One time we could both join at the same time and the other try only my friend
could join. I got the "cd key is already in use" message and that's pretty normal ofcourse. But the first time we could both join. Strange.
My friend has ESET and windows firewall ofcourse. ESET takes control of the firewall. After closing the firewall at my friend's side, I could finally see
him in the list again with all the servers and I could join his games.
So, I think that that is something we can handle by turning off his firewall before future sessions.

That leaves one problem: I still can't host. I tried shutting down the firewall, but that was no success.
My friend can see me in the list of all the servers, but he cannot connect.
He gets no error message, only a window in which is said: creating client, trying to connect to server...............but nothing happens.
Strange, when I tested it with another pc, I got the "wrong cd key" error.

The next test will be: saving my current install map and installing a fresh install including update 1.12 and cmp.
If the problem will be solved, than I know that there's something wrong in my current install.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman

• Lukasz birthday is in 5 days (41)