Where they didn't take it too seriously with their research

1 year 2 weeks ago - 1 year 2 weeks ago #1 by Sqdn. Ldr. Ted Striker
Where they didn't take it too seriously with their research was created by Sqdn. Ldr. Ted Striker
If you ever have wondered about the French names of roads and buildings on the Libya1 loader and map overview, you are right. They don’t make much sense, because Libya was an Italian colony at the time of WW2. You find the answer on the loader picture, where you can read “Sidi bel Abbès”. That’s a town in Algeria with a city wall around the Medina (which means old town). However, most of this city wall had already been demolished in 1930.

So, our beloved Libya1 map seems to be some fantasy construct. I found an ancient city map of Sidi bel Abbès on which you can recognize names like “Porte d’Oran” etc. used on the map overview.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Carte_Hachette_Joanne-1887-Plan_de_Sidi-bel-Abbès.jpg
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Juanma66, Damni, jacobston

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 2 weeks ago #2 by Damni
I absolutely love this kind of posts, so thank you for it.

Sidi bel Abbès, if I remember well, was the first HQ (or first posting) of the French Foreign Legion.
Great find with that map as well. Rue Prudon seems to work as a border between the civilian and military worlds.
I also found it quite interesting to see 2 Synagogues, 1 Church and 1 Mosque.

So, our beloved Libya1 map seems to be some fantasy construct.

No surprise, really. Especially if you think about the beautiful "Austrian" castle that is actually in Snowman's backyard

Check out my photos on Pixelfed
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Maki, jacobston

1 year 2 weeks ago #3 by snowman
It would be great to have a team that would love to do this kind of research, to be used for special missions

"Straight and narrow is the path."
The following user(s) said Thank You: jacobston

1 year 2 weeks ago #4 by Maki
I had fun searching the farm on Burgundy with google earth.I found the approximate location of the farm , with past years , this one looks very much like it .

The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Juanma66, Damni, Stern, jacobston

1 year 2 weeks ago #5 by jacobston
It seems like, overall, Sabre Squadron missions are a lot more 'historically accurate' - the operations in SS are based on actual events, as opposed to the original campaign missions that are more fictionalized.

Its interesting that Libya streets are French - I wonder if it was initially supposed to be set in Algeria, where the Americans would have been advancing at that time in the war (or shortly after? I can't remember the dates specifically). In retrospect I am glad they did not, too much media about the war is centric on the US, that is part of what sets our beloved H&D2 apart from the sea of other WW2 shooters made in the 2000's.

The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Juanma66, Damni, Sqdn. Ldr. Ted Striker

1 year 2 weeks ago #6 by Stern

Maybe someone has better luck to find CZ-4  location.
Even if its all fantasy its still easy to take something as a reference. so they must had used something to start.
I didnt find any signs.
The church should be most useful for search.
This big statue didnt give me anything useful with image search.
Some smaller ones on the roof.
And bell has some markings.
Also this might be located in Slovakian territory but its named Czech mission so maybe not.
And the village itself might have wrong geographic orientation because church was usually built to have East-West orientation.
But its not some hard rule. So the main road that runs through village might be S-N direction.

The one who hesitates is lost !
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Damni, Maki

• Lukasz birthday is in 6 days (41)