What are you cooking?

2 years 10 months ago #511 by Damni
Replied by Damni on topic What are you cooking?

You can cook everything ? 

I would never spend more time making the food than it takes me to eat it !

Interesting concept

Check out my photos on Pixelfed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #512 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic What are you cooking?
Conclusion:

The final bake here with the last of the fresh yeast I had, had been used for a last experiment. I was still puzzled by fermentation quality since it's one of the big factors to developing the highest quality dough, that is also highly digestible and very tasty, crunchy and soft at the same time. Made this dough with only 00 white flour at 90% fermentation. I've reduced the dough development process by hand to a minimum, counting on the double amount of yeast I had. This combined with me also making a mistake... that is starting to make dough at 11 PM. After finishing the simplified process, trying to now shape the dough into a nice bubble before going into the fridge, I realized... it was still the consistency of British stew ... so I decided to give it a 20 minute rest and I should rest myself a bit because it has passed midnight. I woke up at 4:30 in the morning by the smell of beer The dough started to ferment on the table and I thought "Shit, this one is not going to bake". But then, I realized I know more about the dough than it knows about me, so I grabbed the scraper, oiled it with a drop of olive oil and shaped this beautiful bubble:

Yes, time and whatever fermentation was started, helped develop the dough that was not supposed to come together

Managed to put this one in the fridge and after 8 hours of rest there, I got the dough out, divided it, shaped it and set to rest again.

It felt well developed, consistent, airy and strong enough just to barely hold that gas resulted from fermentation

Let it rest for 3 more hours at room temperature(20-21 °C), then in goes into the pan. Layer consisting of more dough goes in first. I think the total dough was about 460-500g ... so divided in two unequal portions, you can do the math

Baked for 11 minutes and ripped it apart

With leftover Mutti tomatoes, cheese, lettuce and expensive salami Funzo should start sending me his packs of Mortadella , specially when I plan falling asleep during the dough development process

"Straight and narrow is the path."
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damni

2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #513 by snowman
A little bit of baking yesterday, same process as the previous post

Home made tomato puree, garlic, Kalamata olives, basil, salty sheep cheese and olive oil. Very light. I ate it all except one slice

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juanma66, Damni, Maki

2 years 10 months ago #514 by snowman
Good morning

Attachments:

2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #515 by snowman
Huge buns

Room temperature: 25 °C

600 g Flour (200 Tipo 1)
306 g Water
60   g Butter
1         Egg
30   g Sugar
15   g Salt
14   g Yeast

Mix all wet ingredients, with sugar. Mix flour and yeast, then mixed both together very well, but not too long, rested and then folded. Don't forget to add the salt at some point in the mixing. Also the butter in small portions.

2h20m fermentation at room temperature

Made balls... too freaking big. You need to make them about 100-110 g, not 170g :D

Rest for 30 mins and then wet each bun with  a bit of water, sprinkle whatever you have that's expired for over 2 years, gently pressing down the buns

Baked for 18-19 minutes at unknown temperature, probably around 200 °C. Before baking, spray milk on them

They ended up being a bit flat, but overall I'm satisfied with this being a first attempt. Should've used only 500g of flour and a smaller pan, plus better mixing in order to get smaller, tight, higher balls. The result: tasty airy buttery buns, great eating them plain or with yogurt. What's nice is that you press them down, they come back to the previous shape, unlike bread, which remains... mostly flat.

Attachments:

2 years 9 months ago #516 by snowman
Before I ran out of the wonderful Italian flour(only ~600g left now) I wanted to bake something as simple as possible, as in the first post of this thread. I really like this simple flat bread with some garlic and olive oil. Not recommended if you live with someone or if you are a social person! I rarely make this, maybe once every 2-3 years, even if I wouldn't mind eating this every morning of the year :D

600 g (2/3 Tipo 1 + 1/3 00) Flour
430 g Water
10   g Salt
3     g Yeast

Mixed everything together last night and rested from 10:15 PM to 6:15 AM in the basement at 18 °​C. It was to hot for 3g, so I should've used 1g of yeast... over fermented, but it was okay after 8 hours. Probably the best time for that amount of yeast(to flour) and 18 °​C is 4-5 hours. I've made 3 nice ~330g balls and rested for 1-2 hours. Meanwhile I minced 5-6 cloves of garlic from the garden, softened it for 2-3 minutes in olive oil and added fresh basil plus a pinch of salt.

I usually bake these how I bake any pizza dough... on the bottom of the oven where the fire is, for 4-5 minutes. For the pizza I stop the oven and put it on broiler(top side, which we never knew it existed until I started baking teglia) for max 2 minutes, but with this one I just flip that dough and leave it for 3-4 minutes.

Dip the warm bread into that flavored oil and you need nothing else. I like a glass of milk after this

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juanma66, Damni, Maki, WANGER

• Lukasz birthday is in 10 days (41)