× Before posting here please make sure you have read our FAQ and if suitable our 'Play Online' and 'Create Server' tutorials

Please try to avoid general topic titles as: "Need help", "Problem occurred", etc.

do we have a buggy server?

8 years 1 week ago #1 by NL
do we have a buggy server? was created by NL
So lately I have experienced many times that during a game suddenly my game will just crash to desktop. This is not the server crashing because when you come back the same map is still running. Also, all players on the map experience the same thing at the same time. So with my limited technical knowledge it seems like the server is sending some instruction to the client which crashes (or maybe it's script events?).

Crashes have been normal with this game for a long time but it seems to happen more often now. The strange thing is I don't seem to have these kinds of crashes on other servers like those of Misinko and before MTB. Which makes me wonder if it is due to our server? I also sometimes hear other players complain our servers are buggy. Also the the "no weapons bug" seems to happen more often on our servers than on others.

Like today on Realism I had 2 crashes on "art of sand", each after a few minutes of play. The third time I did not crash but simply had the bug of not being able to hit enemies, inventory moving, no chat so a connection problem with the server or bugged client (without message "connection problems").

Trust is hard to gain but easy to lose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 1 week ago #2 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic do we have a buggy server?
We all had a connection problem on last Sunday which was unknown. The server
crashed and restarted itself. I just reinstalled server manager. I would think it has
to do with the scripts. I don't want to complain about the maps that were added
lately, but we should decide on a stable version if we manage to to solve current
problems any time soon. I just don't know where to start...

"Straight and narrow is the path."

8 years 1 week ago #3 by NL
Replied by NL on topic do we have a buggy server?
Is there no form of server log which maybe tells what goes wrong with client connections?

8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #4 by snowman
Yes, I just checked it and it writes like this:

"SERVER_NAME exceeds allowed CPU usage:"
and
"Error: Connection timeout"

Today and other days as well. Anyone got any ideas?

Every time I connect, the cpu never exceeds 20%. On Sunday, when the
server crashed there was a normal cpu activity.

8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #5 by NL
Replied by NL on topic do we have a buggy server?
I am taking the risk of sounding stupid but:

-is there maybe a server setting we can control that determines how much cpu usage can be used by an application, in this case HD2?
-sometimes I remember you said the CPU gets overloaded, what process is using the XX% cpu usage?
-are there any time-out settings that can maybe be made longer so communication between client and server doesn't get interrupted?

8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #6 by snowman
You're missing the point. The fact that server crashes or gets laggy is because it reaches a very
high cpu over 90% for more than 90 seconds. The server may have this lag, not sure, when some
players exploit the bugs of the game. Dan Jirasek showed me some kind of glitch that would
make the server restart. So the server restarts by itself when it gets very busy.

Now, on Sunday, we expericenced a lag for about 90 seconds, when we all had to reconnect and
the server seemed fine again. The same was on the Sunday before that. I don't know if someone
can make multiple servers crash by crashing one.

I bet that if we password the servers for 1 week and only say, 15-20 players have the pass and
nobody else is able to get it, the servers will be fine.

2nd thought is that we did have a big crash some 3-4 weeks ago, remember?, when even TS was
very laggy. I investigated and cpu was again fine, the problem was the connection. I couldn't even
connect to the remote server. And when I did connect, maybe restarted it, it soon got the same behavior.
I haven't seen any background updates or wrong behavior.

It may also be so that the server itself has a lag with it connection for a few seconds, making the
server manager overload and soon have a high cpu and crash.

If anyone can take it on from here, I'm happy if we can solve or manage our problem.

• Lukasz birthday is in 10 days (41)