× Before posting here please make sure you have read our FAQ and if suitable our 'Play Online' and 'Create Server' tutorials

Please try to avoid general topic titles as: "Need help", "Problem occurred", etc.

HD2 hosting: what's the best OS?

7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #1 by Maletzki
HD2 hosting: what's the best OS? was created by Maletzki
Hello guys!

I've got a important question: What is the best Operation System for hosting HD2 servers?

Today, hosting companies sell Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2012 R2. But if the server will run on Windows XP (or Windows Server 2003 R2), will it run in a better way?

What's your opinion? Tell me what you think!

- TT93

Playing H&D2 since 2007.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 4 months ago #2 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic HD2 hosting: what's the best OS?
I know we always had Windows Server 2008 R2 and never had any problems. With the 2012
config we did have problems and had to roll back to 2008. Steff can correct me if I'm mistaken.

"Straight and narrow is the path."

7 years 4 months ago #3 by Maletzki
Replied by Maletzki on topic HD2 hosting: what's the best OS?
Hi,

thank you for your reply. I thought about using Windows XP instead of Windows Server 2008 R2 for just two reasons:
- currently I run on my Dedicated Machine two VPS: 2008 R2 and 2012 R2, and both are using many ressources (nevertheless I also run 5 Debian VPs on it, but you know... Windows vs Linux, who will win? Right.. Linux)
- HD2 came out where Windows XP was the latest OS by Microsoft, also Windows XP is using much less ressources (and for personal reason: finally I got WinXP work on Proxmox using VirtIO drivers... yippie!)

- TT93

Playing H&D2 since 2007.

• Lukasz birthday is in 5 days (41)