Today In History

10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #181 by Nikita
Replied by Nikita on topic Today In History

This post is backdated of one day, because May 2nd and 3rd, 1808 are strongly connected in the history of Spain.

May 3rd, 1808

The French general Murat, who acts especially in his personal interest, dirty his hands, his name and what remains of his honor by ordering the execution of Spanish prisoners, captured the day before during the popular uprising of Madrid against the French occupation, entered the history under the name Dos de Mayo . Far from providing the expected result, the submission of the people, this barbaric act will start on the contrary an immense popular revolt in Spain, which will end in the Spanish war for independence and finally in the napoleonic defeat in Spain.

This event was the object of a famous painting by Goya, named El tres de mayo de 1808 en Madrid, usually called Tres de Mayo.

One have to believe that the Spaniards have certain talent to put their sufferings in paintings...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Juanma66

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #182 by Nikita

May 25, 1940

According to Wikipedia, this is the beginning of the Battle of Dunkirk . Yeah, a few days before, a few days after... Names that history remembers, others she forgot ... It's easy now to say "if" ... We never remake the history...
As the Times said, "as long as English will be spoken, the name of Dunkirk will be delivered with the utmost respect"...

Probably, yes, and also with some bitterness...

"In glorious memory of airmen, sailors and soldiers of French armies and Allies
who sacrificed themselves in the battle of Dunkirk May June 1940."
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Juanma66, iBeLKa

9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #183 by Nikita

May 26, 1942

Free France raise her head in Bir-Hakeim .

"Nowhere in Africa was I given a stiffer fight."

General Erwin Rommel

“Holding back for fifteen days Rommel's offensive,
the free French of Bir Hakeim had contributed to save Egypt and the Suez Canal's destinies.”

Sir Winston Churchill

"The United Nations need to be filled with admiration and gratitude, in respect of these French troops and their brave General Koenig."

General Claude Auchinleck

Commemorative monument in Lorient.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman

9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #184 by Nikita

We arrived there finally, on this May 27...

To be completely honest with people who read me here, i had prepared since a long time a long version of this post in which, clearly, i settle certain accounts. I hesitated a lot and finally i decided not to post it, because it’s far too much hard, because it’s far too much personal and because it’s probably not the place here for that. Not that this post is resentful or something like that, no, honestly i don’t believe so. Simply personal, because these events touched me very closely, myself, my family, my friends… I realized that, over the pen, i wrote things which could be understood only by people who were touched in the same way, people who have seen friends leaving and who didn’t necessarily see them coming back or, if they came back, they were not completely the same anymore… All of this was too much heavy, too much subjective, sometimes too much intimate to fit into the framework of a small post about history. That went clearly out of the domain and necessarily…
In brief. This long version, i kept it for me and for my friends of the 3rd RIMa. I thus post here the short version, where i restrict to quote facts and where i let speak people who have the right to speak about it publicly.

For the rest, there are things which have to stay in the first circle…

May 27, 1995

The soldiers of the French 3rd RIMa (marine infantry), aka "The big Three", under UN peacekeepers flag, leaded by Captain François Lecointre and Lieutenant Bruno Heluin and supported by tanks from the French RICM, take back the strategic UN checkpoint of Vrbanja bridge in Sarajevo, after the VRS have stormed it by using dirty tricks, among others by usurpating with false French uniforms.

As the Danish peacekeepers of Operation Bøllebank on April 29, 1994, one of the rare times when the UN clearly refused that one shits in the boots of its peacekeepers without they have the right to react.

The French aftermath will be two soldiers killed in action, Private Amaru and Private Humblot, and ten woundeds.

The aftermath for the VRS, franckly, don't ask me to worry about it, because i really don't give a damn. That's all.

Lieutenant Bruno Heluin, second in command of the assault team, at the collection of the bodies of his two fallen comrades
Private Marcel Amaru and Private Jacky Humblot. Credit: Reuters

"The resumption of the Vrbanja bridge will remain in the memory of our armed forces as a symbol,
the one of the newfound dignity, the one of the refusal of all humiliations."

French President Jacques Chirac

Attachments:

9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #185 by Nikita
May 31, 1916

The battle of Jutland , largest naval battle of WW1

9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #186 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic Today In History
You know what day is today :yipi:

1944 - 90 Seconds Inside D-day - Color HD

"Straight and narrow is the path."
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikita, Juanma66, iBeLKa

• Xiadz birthday is in 6 days (27)
  • Greg birthday is in 7 days (22)
  • Matke birthday is in 7 days (21)
  • toadlife birthday is in 10 days (46)