The Future of H&D2 Editing is Here

4 years 3 months ago #1 by snowman
The Future of H&D2 Editing is Here was created by snowman
Writing this post on behalf of FlashX :love:

Hello HD2 community, you probably haven't heard of me yet... :tooth:
I wish happy New Year to everyone... :party:
Today I am bringing good news to all Hidden & Dangerous 2 modders...

LS3D Editor

I want to announce that I'm working on Hidden & Dangerous 2 modding tools for some time now, but the most important tool is probably the first properly displaying 3D mission editor, which uses native game formats. The editor will bring not only the possibility to place objects in the mission (3D models in .4ds, lights, sounds, etc.) but also:

⚹ creating actors and setting up their equipment
⚹ creating special items such as weapons, ammo, Enigma, gold bars
⚹ creating collisions
⚹ creating checkpoints (navigation for AI)
⚹ creating effects (smoke, fire, leaves)
⚹ usage of morph animations from vertanim library
⚹ and probably a lot of other things ...

What may not be possible in the future:

⚹ lightmap generation (quite demanding study)
⚹ properly creation of volumetric lights (large amount of unknown values, at most it will be possible to set the position and some basic values)

Release date – probably around November 2020

The current editor shows contents of scene.4ds and scene2.bin and allows basic object transformations, so it's obvious that the editor needs a lot of work ... And by the way, programming 3D engines is quite demanding...
It is also part of my high school graduation project, so it is in my own interest to finish it... :cookie:

Blender addon

Another new tool I'm working on is import/export addon for Blender (free and open source 3D creation suite), in which it will be possible to prepare 3D models (probably also animations in the future). I know there is already a plugin for 3DS Max, but I don't like this program so much... It costs a lot of money and I guess that most of the modders who use it, they use it illegally...

My Blender addon not only allows editing the model, but also provides more management options of the entire model and allows you to set up special settings, like culling settings, dynamic shadows settings, environment map settings (reflection textures), animated map settings (water textures), morphed meshes editing (flags, palms, water, facial expressions) and much more...

I am also planning to create an extension for Visual Studio Code that will support the syntax highlighting of the Hidden & Dangerous 2 scripting language ...

I want to make Hidden & Dangerous 2 modding as easy as possible, but I also want to provide as many editing options as possible...

I hope that my announcement was not so exhaustive...

Hardware and system requirements:

- graphics card with OpenGL 3.3 and higher
- .NET Framework 4.8 and higher

If there's anything you would like to know, don't hesitate to ask.

Here I attach some screenshots...

"Straight and narrow is the path."
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damni, ShayoX, danilasar, Xiadz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 3 months ago #2 by snowman

"Straight and narrow is the path."
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damni, jacobston, ShayoX, danilasar, Xiadz

4 years 3 months ago #3 by Damni
Replied by Damni on topic The Future of H&D2 Editing is Here
Great news. Hopefully this will bring back the old modders as well.
The right tools in the right hands could lead to something interesting. :gj:

Check out my photos on Pixelfed
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman

4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #4 by Stern
Replied by Stern on topic The Future of H&D2 Editing is Here
"All in one" editor :gj: :gj: :gj:
Some people might ask: Where were you 10 years ago when modding was booming...:)

I am also planning to create an extension for Visual Studio Code that will support the syntax highlighting of the Hidden & Dangerous 2 scripting language ...

Notepad++ already does this job very well, no need to create new extension...
(Maybe there is some other reason to use Visual Studio Code)

Aslo SublimeText3 can do that.

The one who hesitates is lost !
Attachments:

4 years 3 months ago #5 by FlashX
Replied by FlashX on topic The Future of H&D2 Editing is Here
Thank you for your appreciation... It doesn't seem highlighted enough to me... :) But definitely better than nothing... I think that VS Code provides more features than these two programs, and unlike Sublime Text it is free...

Moreover, the fact that there are already two solutions does not mean that there can not appear a third ... :)

4 years 3 months ago #6 by Stern
Replied by Stern on topic The Future of H&D2 Editing is Here
One thing could be better:
both of them doesnt recognize HD2 scripting language, but its easy to select C or C++ from the Language menu (Notepad++) or View->Syntax (SublimeText).

Nice features of Notepad++ is that it can highlight variables, so its easy to see where and how many are there.
Also it has Find / Replace function that can handle all opened documents.
And it can detect if opened documents are changed (by other program), then it offers refresh option.
Corresponding brackets highlight is another good feature.

Is it possible to add all default script entries to VS code ?
What i mean is something like "HDScripter", where you can choose some function and just fill in whats needed to complete its functionality.

So in your editor its possible to add AI to the scene ?
Thats good, because adding maybe 100 enemy takes time.
I made a program that can read out players in-game position coordinates from game memory and it has save function.
Then i just stand in the position where i want AI to be, or a vehicle and hit the Hot-key and this position is saved to textfile...
I had idea to modify this program to get complete AI Object/Definition output (with increment names Enemy01, Enemy02...) that can be imported to Actors.bin.

The one who hesitates is lost !

• Lukasz birthday is in 9 days (41)