Prepping

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #1 by NL
Prepping was created by NL
Hi, I thought hard and long if I should share this about myself but I guess you could call me some sort of prepper. (the term prepper comes from the English "to prepare") Now wait! I am not talking about the show Doomsday Preppers, most in that show are just, well, weird and go way too far.

However, once upon a time it was normal that families had extra food, water, fuel and that sort of thing for long winters and emergencies. In our modern society most don't have supplies in their house because the supermarket is around the corner and they feel these supplies will always be available.

In my opinion the infrastructure is fragile, even in a rich country as The Netherlands. It is not unthinkable in your lifetime you will experience a longer period of troubles with gas, water and electricity. It could be caused by faulty infrastructure, human failure or intentional terrorist attacks. Many in western countries think the government will help them but don't realise that the government will not be able to help in a situation that involves many thousands of people. Logistics and supplies will soon be compromised and depleted. If there is also a situation of civil unrest the shit will really hit the fan.

Now I am not a doom thinker but I like the idea I can take care of myself for at least a month so I have made some preparations in the past 2 years to be independent. I am sure that in some countries this is much more normal than in a country like mine. I live in an apartment in the suburbs so have no land and an opportunity to have a vegetable garden, store fire wood and so on.

So some of the things I organized:

-water filters (and have water stored - about 60 liters)
-cooking gear, gas stove and some petroleum stoves (10 cannisters of gas and 50 liters of petroleum, last also for heating and lamps)
-petroleum lamps
-petroleum heater
-torch lights and batteries
-freeze dried food for 1 month (at least 25 year shelf life)
-food for my cat + litter box stuff
-extra gasoline for my car - 50 liters
-solar charger for phone
-extra cash money and even some gold and silver
-some tools like axe, knifes, saws and so on
-and more items I may elaborate on if someone would be interested

Now a question: if you would have no electricity, no gas and the stores are empty, could you survive for 2 weeks without help from the outside?

Trust is hard to gain but easy to lose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damni, Max.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 4 months ago #2 by jacobston
Replied by jacobston on topic Prepping
I, living with my parents, would probably survive for two weeks.

- In terms of food, we have plenty of canned and non-perishable food in the house, and all of our water comes from a well, so we don't rely on a town water system.
- The house itself is primarily heated by wood fire-stoves. Going into winter, we have enough wood piled to last us a few months.
- Being a family of mechanics, we have plenty of tools and hardware, as well as multiple vehicles and extra gasoline.
- In the event of a power loss, we have a gas powered electricity generator, as well as hand-cranked radios to stay informed about the outside world.
- We also have a few firearms, hunting rifles, shotguns, etc, in case we need to hunt our own food (Or if things turn into 'Mad Max' :rambo: ).

We have never really worried or prepared for any 'catastrophic' event. Even now, we rarely even have any power outages because of the way our power grid has been set up and re-enforced. Where I am geographically, we are not effected by very many 'big' storms, and when one does pass by, we often get the better half. That being said, my hometown is about 40km from the Nuclear Power plant, so if something big were to happen there, it may shake things up a bit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NL

9 years 4 months ago #3 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic Prepping

"Straight and narrow is the path."

9 years 4 months ago #4 by Damni
Replied by Damni on topic Prepping
Good one NL.
I am also interested in this topic. I've been reading about it some time ago and I think it does make sense to be prepared in case the shit hits the fan (love this english expression btw) but without going too far. Never watched those tv shows and never will. Tried to watch some youtube videos about this stuff and these people are like going to war. Carrying guns, wearing all camouflage...what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge?!?!?!

I'd be interested to know what kind of food you have stored.

Check out my photos on Pixelfed

9 years 4 months ago #5 by Stern
Replied by Stern on topic Prepping
Medical supply is important, maybe even morphine...
But most important is breathing, because its the force of life, so gas mask and simple dust mask (breathing through heavy duty gas mask makes person quickly very tired, lungs do more job to bring air in)
And maybe some oxygen, something like divers use.

All kind of packages named something like "emergency food rations" is good choice, they are made mainly for military to use when food supply is low but what ever.

The one who hesitates is lost !

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #6 by NL
Replied by NL on topic Prepping
@Damni

I have some normal canned food which have about 2 years shelf life which I rotate in normal daily use.
Then I have Mountain House freeze dried food, in total 6 #10 cans which are good for 25 years or longer and only need water to prepare. This can also be cold water but of course hot water would be better. Cans like this --> #10 can and #10 can and other mixes of meat, vegetables and rice or pasta. Not cheap but they are for true emergencies. I also have some long lasting bread in cans and stuff like milk powder. I store some olive oil, salt, pepper, sugar and coffee and tea. Then some emergency crackers like they use on life rafts. As said, you have to rotate the more perishable stuff.

@Stern yes medical supplies are important and I have some but not enough really. Stuff like morphine and antibiotics are very hard to get, well in my country at least. I also have some FFP3 dust masks.

Just to be clear: I am not trying to prepare for "the end of the world as we know it" or even long periods of disaster because there will be no end to what you should have or would like to have. I just want to be able to look after myself for about a month without help from the outside.

Trust is hard to gain but easy to lose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Damni

• Lukasz birthday is in 4 days (41)