Empty maps

8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #1 by Nikita
Empty maps was created by Nikita

Well lads, since a couple of days, i'm trying to make something as my personal mod for Brest.

I use for that a copy of Steff's work Brest extended, as a reliable basis. But, i want something totally new so my first task is to delete all the existing enemies.

I use for that the DCED and Hex editor (for managing rubbish). This deleting operation is really an unnatractive work but i guess it has to be done first for whoever who wants to create a "full new" map.

So, my question is here especially for already experienced modders : Is it possible lads, that you have some maps already cleaned of all the enemies definitions, so only the terrain ? Also, is it a good idea to upload such "blank" maps on =RpR= website, in Files section ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #2 by betteryouthanme
Replied by betteryouthanme on topic Empty maps
Thought about such blanks but then RevEngEd 2 was released which makes it so simple deleting single or several objects from actors.bin or scene2.bin.

So i'd suggest to try RevEngEd first. Therefore you need to install the Java Runtime Environment.

The Editor itself you can find here .
Unzip the downloaded file and execute HeD2-Revenged2.jar.

Check the User guide.pdf for further informations. Especially chapter "set up".
The map.4ds have to be replaced with one that RevEngEd can handle. It's also contained in the zip file.
The loader.4ds, as also menitioned in the guide, can left untouched as RevEngEd does not edit this file. (guess it was planned for a later time..)

Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe - the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. Immanuel Kant
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikita

8 years 5 months ago #3 by Nikita
Replied by Nikita on topic Empty maps

Ok, thanks Steff. Actually, i knew that RevEngEd 2 editor but i never used it, i sticked on DCed.

I'm going to instal all this stuff anc check the user guide. :gj:

8 years 5 months ago #4 by Stern
Replied by Stern on topic Empty maps

Nikita wrote:

I use for that the DCED and Hex editor (for managing rubbish). This deleting operation is really an unnatractive work but i guess it has to be done first for whoever who wants to create a "full new" map.

Use DCED for "Definition" section as less as you can, then you never have to deal with this rubbish at the end of file.
DCED can edit "Objects" section well but for deleting or importing defs it causes problems, do it with hex editor.
If you want to rename def, it works too, but close/save after rename is done.
(not so difficult to rename with hex editor, you have to correct name and current def block size if new name is longer or shorter)

The one who hesitates is lost !

• 43 birthday is in 2 days (57)