Questions on Geo UV and Coding

7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #1 by OriginalDan
Questions on Geo UV and Coding was created by OriginalDan
TL;DR version:
  • Is it possible to replace old UV coordinates with new ones?

• Is it possible to replace or add on more geometry to an object without re weightpainting or recreating the objects rig? example: making new geo a child of the existing model?
  • Do you think we could figure out a way to duplicate the No.69 impact grenade, replace the model with the knife, remove the explosive damage and how it alerts AI to essentially create throwing knifes?

• Has anyone attempted to contact the LS3D engine programmers to see if they could release their old engines internal build?

Long version:
Hello! so only recently started playing this game friend of mine introduced me and i dunno how the hell i managed to miss out on this for so long.
anyway i checked out a texture and sound mod then quickly started modding my own sounds in and soon i got to the textures, a quick test showed that just replacing even a 256x256 texture with a 1024x1024 one displays perfectly fine in game, Awesome i thought: time to look at modding the vehicles

so since i know maya well i exported the jeep from 3ds max into maya to preview texture changes and... 34 textures? what in the hell.. for 1 jeep?

Does anyone know how the game handles UV mapping? i can get the models into maya easily enough and unwrapping it properly into a sensible modern layout is doable but how would i go about getting a new UV map into the game?

id assume the engine is already set up to load all 34files for when a jeep loads up so id have to figure out a way to change its path and direct it to a single texture file with new UV coordinates.

I'm also curious what the poly limit would be since I've seen other modders have success adding on geometry or replacing existing weapons but again doing so stuffs up the UVs since its new polys and the engine is just loading the old UVs.

if that was figured out then technically to get say a better looking tank i could just replace the model with a higher poly one adding more detail and cutting way down on the absurd amount of files need to load onto one vehicle.
The other downside to that would be rigging i wouldn't have a clue how to rig in 3ds max 2014 (which is what i was using to preview models and export to maya)
Unless there's a method in which more geometry is added onto the existing geo as a child so that it doesn't effect the rigging in anyway.

Another part to modding is a programming friend of mine has an idea on modding in throwing knifes
the theory is that we:
Make a duplicate of the No.69 impact grenades
Replace the model with a knife
Disable explosive damage and particle effects
Disable noise so that it wont alert nearby enemies.

No idea if that's possible as I'm more of a modeler/animator where as my friend is the programmer. It does sound like it might need engine level access if its not possible to script up and use in the editor.

Speaking of has anyone tried contacting folks that worked on the engine? all i could find on it was on the Russian wiki (weirdly on the english HD2 page it just redirects to 2K Czech)
If modders had engine level access then itad open up the game to whatever you code.
It mentions the Illusion Engine used for Mafia2 succeeded LS3D so even if its possible to track someone down they might not be able to give it out under contract or something but surely a 2006 or earlier build of LS3D wouldn't be worth anything to them? i guess it would then come down to the bureaucratic parts of how it possibly effecting their hold on the intellectual property.

Well if anyone has any ideas or could point me in the right direction please let me know!
The following user(s) said Thank You: NL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 2 months ago #2 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic Questions on Geo UV and Coding
Hi Dan

Welcome to =RpR= forums :D

OriginalDan wrote: Another part to modding is a programming friend of mine has an idea on modding in throwing knifes
the theory is that we:
Make a duplicate of the No.69 impact grenades
Replace the model with a knife
Disable explosive damage and particle effects
Disable noise so that it wont alert nearby enemies.

This sounds like a great idea. You would also have to increase the speed the knife travels, since
you always throw it straight at higher speeds than a grenade. Of course, there would be only a
small distance where the knife would be accurate, since on longer distances it would fall to the
ground.

"Straight and narrow is the path."

7 years 2 months ago #3 by OriginalDan
Replied by OriginalDan on topic Questions on Geo UV and Coding
It definitely sounds possible since the majority of it is all there
but it is up to my mate to see whether or not using the editor and hex editing can achieve it, if he or myself make any progress on this or the other ideas ill be sure to keep posting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman

7 years 2 months ago #4 by Stern
Replied by Stern on topic Questions on Geo UV and Coding

OriginalDan wrote: Speaking of has anyone tried contacting folks that worked on the engine? all i could find on it was on the Russian wiki (weirdly on the english HD2 page it just redirects to 2K Czech)
If modders had engine level access then itad open up the game to whatever you code.

I guess they know what the hell are all these for:

Attachment not found

They can be found in game exe file.

The one who hesitates is lost !

7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #5 by OriginalDan
Replied by OriginalDan on topic Questions on Geo UV and Coding
Quick update! so HD1 and 2 have made it onto GoG! Huzzah!
what's interesting is an ex AI programmer by the username ped7g has been posting in the release discussion thread so I've asked him about getting that password for the games .exe
It's a long shot worth a try.

GoG release thread page4 with supposed ex AI programmer
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman

7 years 2 months ago #6 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic Questions on Geo UV and Coding
Best wishes along the process :)

"Straight and narrow is the path."

• Lukasz birthday is in 4 days (41)