Questions on Geo UV and Coding

7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #7 by OriginalDan
Replied by OriginalDan on topic Need map help with Z-Depth and other map basics
I've been slowly trying to wrap my head around the H&D2 RevEngEd 2
i ended up getting stuck at the Z-Depth part of its tutorial, I've primarily used Maya2015/16 and well in the past i used to use blender but i never touched 3ds Max 2014 however i installed the script from hdmaster, importing seems fine, but now i need to do a z-depth pass?
I've done these in the past to use for depth of field in compositing programs but for this?

If I'm getting this right you do a z-depth pass, create an object in 3ds max, run custom script to get the z-depth value, save out the render image.
Then to actually place something new you have to hex edit it in manually or duplicate an item in the scene then edit its property's to match a coordinate you got from 3ds max? and to see if its even worked you need to save it all up and load the mission in game to see the change?

So id have to do that process for each item 1by1? is there no 3d editor? are all the tools made by the community and the developers used some other method to place everything? some levels have a boatload of bits n bobs on tables and stacked all around the place. Unless I'm missing something real obvious.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 1 month ago #8 by betteryouthanme
Replied by betteryouthanme on topic Need map help with Z-Depth and other map basics
Well i use Revenged a lot if i make a new mission, but never used the Z-Depth feature. It was just too much time consuming and not that accurate.
If you ever create a working Z-Depth map, don't hesitate to share ;)

Revenged is currently the best editor you can work with. However there's no real editor for adding new ground elements and Collisions (tree.klz)

Before the 3ds plugin, placing objects was all done manually, place it on map, check ingame where it is and move it a bit closer where you want it, and so on, and so on... :sozzled:

There's a LS3D Sandbox for Mafia, which development is currently paused. Should not be much of a problem to make it run for HD2. (hdmaster talked to him already) HD2 is just using a bit newer version of 4ds.. But it's not even finished for Mafia.

To get the z-depth nowadays i load the scene.4ds in 3ds Max and read it off there. (not only z also x,y of course) By the way there are several plugins by hdmaster. Not sure which you have installed. Best working and latest is called LS3D Editor
Just put the .gup file in plugins folder of 3ds Max and it should run. You need 64-bit version of 3ds Max. If it works also with latest 2017 version i don't now. Having installed 2014.

You can import 4ds, parts of tree.klz, actors/scene2.bin (not displayed but selectable), check2.bin
Export of 4ds and check2.bin does also work!

Sadly i have not heard anything from him since a year now.. He was so close..

Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe - the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. Immanuel Kant
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: OriginalDan

7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #9 by OriginalDan
Replied by OriginalDan on topic LS3D Sandbox
so i cannot for the life of me find a LS3D Sandbox download, instead i came across another mafia world editor http://ru.lhm.wikia.com/wiki/Mafia_World_Editor
though that just gets an error loading rw_data.dll I'm guessing its not a fan of HD2s version of that dll file. I'm not a programmer unfortunately :/ kinda wish i did take it up to crack these issues lol.
that editor looks fairly decent too (though i have no idea what he is saying) https://youtu.be/HrCjy1vcXF4 (skip to around 8:30 where he loads the world in)
but id imagine someone needs to know what they're doing to redirect it to load HD2 stuff.

anyway any chance of link or reupload of the LS3D Sandbox?

edit: now that i look at the screenshots of the Sandbox editor compared to the mafia world editor its a real similar layout lol

7 years 1 month ago #10 by betteryouthanme
Replied by betteryouthanme on topic LS3D Sandbox
Don't know if it's the latest version before dev was paused but it's the only one i have found.

LS3D Sandbox for Mafia

No idea how functional it is with Mafia files. No chance with HD2 files i guess.

Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe - the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. Immanuel Kant

• Lukasz birthday is in 4 days (41)