What's up at home today...?

2 years 8 months ago #1909 by Maki
Replied by Maki on topic What's up at home today...?

In French : Cicadelle blanche 

Leafhoppers are small insects (a few millimetres to 1,3 cm long for the largest species), of whitish, brown, beige or green colour according to the species, belonging to the order of the Hemiptera. Able to jump or fly, especially when disturbed, they are sometimes confused with whiteflies (this is particularly the case for white leafhoppers). Adults and larvae prick the leaves or stems of plants in order to pump the sap, such as the cicada or the aphid (whose leafhopper is a close cousin). More than 400 plants may be affected by this parasite (many herbaceous or woody plants, except softwood).

Means of struggle

Leafhoppers can be controlled by spraying with pyrethrum, neem oil, black soap or kaolinite (clay) solution. Biological control of the species Metcalfa pruinosa involves a small hymenoptera, Neodryinus typhlocybae, which destroys the larvae (it feeds and lays its eggs). This exclusive natural predator of the white leafhopper was absent in Europe when the white leafhopper first appeared, which explains the rapid progression of the parasite.

The best recipe is to dilute in 1 litre of water, 1 teaspoon of liquid black soap, 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon of alcohol at 90°.
You spray this solution once a day for 3-4 days. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 8 months ago #1910 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic What's up at home today...?
Many thanks!  I couldn't find the name...

I've seen the brown/grey ones around for years. This spring there was a lot of white stuff on the roses, grape and raspberry vines. It looked weird and it was never present in 25 years since we live here. Then the raspberry fruit stopped growing and drying, same with the vines. I had to cut many of them last week :(

"Straight and narrow is the path."

2 years 8 months ago #1911 by Damni
Replied by Damni on topic What's up at home today...?
I've used a solution of water and Marseille soap for different kind of parasites with pretty good results. Not sure about that particular kind of insect though.

PROS: very cheap;
CONS: you have to spray multiple times (especially if it rains);

Check out my photos on Pixelfed

2 years 7 months ago #1912 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic What's up at home today...?
Today I have received my samurai sword. Starting tonight, the world will never be the same

Warning: Spoiler!

"Straight and narrow is the path."
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maki

2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #1913 by Sqdn. Ldr. Ted Striker
Replied by Sqdn. Ldr. Ted Striker on topic What's up at home today...?
the post-war political construction of the region I come from celebrated its 75th birthday. There is an anthem, the lyrics are disputed.

2 years 6 months ago #1914 by Damni
Replied by Damni on topic What's up at home today...?
What do you guys think about my brand new Enter Key ?

Check out my photos on Pixelfed
Attachments:

• spartacus birthday is in 4 days (63)
  • Kahuna birthday is in 5 days (39)
  • Wójt birthday is in 9 days (28)