The French solo climber Patrick Edlinger was found dead in his place of residence on Friday. 52-year-old, " the blond " as it was nicknamed, was one of the greatest climbers of its géneration. In the 80s, with his friend Patrick Berhault, he made discover to the general public another way of climbing, another state of mind where the overtaking of one and the respect for the nature hold all their place. We shall look even for a long time at Opéra vertical and at La vie au bout des doigts...
" I am a free man, i regret nothing of my course " Patrick Edlinger
On January 9, 1514 died Anne of Brittany, Duchess of Brittany and Queen of France.
Well, i will not attempt here a summary of his life,
is here for. I'll just say that here, five centuries after her death, she's still as popular, probably by his willingness to always defend the Breton land and Breton people.
Probably also by the motto she left us, "Kentoc'h Mervel eget saotret Bezan," which can be translated as "Death rather than defilement"...
Seven years ago disappeared
, fighter pilot in the RAF and Free French Air Forces during World War II.
Pierre Clostermann (Distinguished Flying Cross with bar, Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star, Air Medal, Grand Cross of the Legion of Honor, 17 citations to the level of the army and more ...), is the greatest French ace of WW2 and is officially credited with 33 victories.
Pierre Clostermann and his aircraft, the Hawker Tempest "Le Grand Charles"
Pierre Clostermann tells how he was shot down, on April 21, 1945 (and not 1944 as mentioned on this Youtube account)
- I've been shot down two times, on May 12, 1943 and on April 21, 1945. So, on April 21, 1945, i was at my best and also at the maximum of inconscience, because there's a kind of inconscience, when you're tired... There's a doping, because war brings dope, during these kinds of operations... So, well, i was not very modest... And i was brought back, in 35 seconds, to the absolute modesty... That's the total fear, telling to yourself : "Oh Lord, it's over..." He was a German pilot... We were eight planes, he was alone... And he made the demonstration... One, two, three... And that was over...
- Who was he...?
- I never knew... He could kill me... When i saw my engine stop and a shell exploding... This day, it was not my aircraft... Each time i had to pilot another aircraft than mine, i got problems... It's very strange... I saw this blast, i felt the shock when my engine blew, i said to myself : "Here is it, i'm down..." Too low for parachute... I saw the pilot very clearly, he was over me, maybe 10 meters over, he was looking at me... He tried desperately to slow down, perhaps he was afraid that i shot him ... I made a crash landing, somewhere in the swamps... I ran out of the plane...
I slipped on the wing, I fell... I saw him arriving... I said to myself : "Here we are, he's going to shoot..." I said to myself : "No, that cannot be, he will not do that..." I never did it, you see... And he didn't do it...
- You say, he didn't do it... You never did it... But, there were some others who did it...?
- ... You know, there are always people who... who need to make the war more horrible than it is...
- So, it happened...?
- It happened... It happened... On every sides...
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Nikita.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Juanma66