× Before posting here please make sure you have read our FAQ and if suitable our 'Play Online' and 'Create Server' tutorials

Please try to avoid general topic titles as: "Need help", "Problem occurred", etc.

do we have a buggy server?

8 years 2 weeks ago #19 by Maletzki
Replied by Maletzki on topic do we have a buggy server?

NL wrote: @ThomasTailor93 yes we also talked about this, we are waiting for BYTM (Steff) to hopefully discuss this with our hosting (he is our administrator).
We don't know all the ins and outs of this, I thought and hoped CPU usage is maybe reserved and shielded per VPS but I guess that can depend on configuration and/or contract type (or maybe a technical impossibilty, I don't know).
Thank you for your suggestion.

Yeah, no problem. In general, a VPS is hosted on a Dedicated Root Server with a huge CPU (let's say Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1650 v3, http://ark.intel.com/de/products/82765/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-1650-v3-15M-Cache-3_50-GHz), 128 GB DDR3 (or DDR4) RAM. The hosting company is virtualizing their system with systems like Hyper-V, Promox, Xen, VMware etc.. They can set up the amount of cores (in our case 8 hard, 12 virtual). They guarantee 4 cores, so they set up 4 cores to your server. On the other hand, you can use (technically) ~3,5 GHz to ~3,8 GHz, but most of them guarantee , let's say 1,4 GHz. If you calculate, this is a 12 core machine. You have 10 VPS, one of them is using 12 cores, some 8, some 4, some 2, some 1. Every VPS, according to their usage, is using 30% of CPU. So if you have ~3,8GHz, one VPS is using 1,1GHz. If you have a CPU usage of 90%, you use 3,4GHz. I hope Contabo limited the amount of VPS on one machine, and I hope their machines are much better build then my example. But as you can see, it CAN depend on your VPS. I hope not. Let's wait for Contabo's feedback.

Playing H&D2 since 2007.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 2 weeks ago #20 by NL
Replied by NL on topic do we have a buggy server?
Right, that is about how I thought it would work.

Trust is hard to gain but easy to lose.

8 years 2 weeks ago #21 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic do we have a buggy server?
Maybe useful to mention that this tarted happening more often since we switched back
again to hosting the site separaty from where we host the game server.

I think Steff told me about scripts running only on Server, but I forgot :sarcy:

"Straight and narrow is the path."

8 years 2 weeks ago #22 by Maletzki
Replied by Maletzki on topic do we have a buggy server?
It's definitely better to host both on separate machines.

Playing H&D2 since 2007.

8 years 2 weeks ago #23 by NL
Replied by NL on topic do we have a buggy server?
Example, today 10:25 GMT+1
Was playing on Realism, got "connection problems" message, was kicked out of map to main menu, immediately reconnected and server was running 1st map in maplist (sicily 1), so it was like a restart.

Flo, can you check serverlog to see what it says?

Trust is hard to gain but easy to lose.

8 years 2 weeks ago #24 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic do we have a buggy server?
It says that I need to take a shower :lol:

I see two connections today as Mainadmin. One at 10:24 and the other at 11:43.

"Straight and narrow is the path."

• Lukasz birthday is in 3 days (41)
  • spartacus birthday is in 10 days (63)