× Before posting here please make sure you have read our FAQ and if suitable our 'Play Online' and 'Create Server' tutorials

Please try to avoid general topic titles as: "Need help", "Problem occurred", etc.

Reconnecting Too Much? Try this!

3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #1 by snowman
Reconnecting Too Much? Try this! was created by snowman
UPDATE: Nevermind... :lol:

Hello everyone :)

With the special help of Thomas Tailor it was possible to discover the problem some players have with H&D2 servers. This is only for testing purposes and everyone is welcome. The suggested period would be at least 1 week to make sure. To explain in plain English, it seems that QTracker is located outside Europe, through lower quality network, creating a loss of data between player/ client and H&D2 servers. We will try to take QTracker out of this equation and see what happens :idea:

Go to your "hosts" file and comment the 3 lines related to QTracker, adding a # in front of each line. From this:

to this:

Additionally you need to use your FAVORITES list to connect to H&D2 servers. You can add servers manually by IP and port or download the ServerList.bin and copy + paste the file into your PlayersProfile folder.

Example:

It's a simple, possible fix. Please try it and report. I've only had problems when our servers had "Connection Problems", but lately, since I'm also using the "hosts" file, I often have to reconnect.

We can test together and see how it goes ;)
... until the permanent fix comes along :ciuciu:

"Straight and narrow is the path."
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rs_Funzo, Maki, p.jakub88

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 3 months ago #2 by Stern
Replied by Stern on topic Reconnecting Too Much? Try this!
??????

QTracker is not responsible for connection between Client <-> Server ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Only thing Qtracker does is send you active servers list if you press Update List in multiplayer menu:
https://www.qtracker.com/server_list_details.php?game=hiddenanddangerous2
And that's all it does.
This list is sent to Client and after that Qtracker is not used until you press Update List again...

The one who hesitates is lost !
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman

3 years 3 months ago #3 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic Reconnecting Too Much? Try this!
I was thinking about the same, Stern. That's why this is a test. Some things are not very clear to me. In my case, I felt bad when players had to reconnect this much, until I've started using the hosts file fix myself. Trying to figure out what's wrong.

3 years 3 months ago #4 by Stern
Replied by Stern on topic Reconnecting Too Much? Try this!
All this should be confirmed with some network traffic monitoring soft like WireShark.

Two kind of test can be made:
1.Leave Hosts file as it is but dont use Update List, use Favorites list.
2.Disable Qtracker entry in Hosts file and use Favorites list.

Because it might be possible that this Hosts file itself causes the issues, not the fact that player uses it to re-route the Update request to Qtracker. :undecided:
Or the server side Hosts file can cause issue ???
Turn this off to test.

RSC uses local port 11005 (TCP) and 12001.
I dont know if this can cause problems if HD2 server has port 11005 as a opened port.
Server uses UDP so maybe there is no conflict.

The one who hesitates is lost !
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, p.jakub88

3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #5 by snowman
Thank you, Stern.

You might have a point with the 11005 port used by both RSC and our Justice server. Yes, RSC uses TCP and the game server uses UDP. From what I read they are different protocols, so there "should" be no problem. I recall in the past years of turning off RSC for testing in similar cases. Still not sure wth is going on. Maybe JonnySniper can enlighten us 8)

We do have a hosts file on the Remote Machine, but I imagine commenting those lines would make our servers disappear from QTracker server list... dumb assumption without knowing too many details.

Already tried you option test 1. - not sure what to make of it. I remember using the Update List sometimes and sometimes not. I did keep getting bugged, but don't recall on what instance... when I clicked the update button or not.

Your test 2. is the purpose of this thread.

3 years 3 months ago #6 by snowman
Probably the first player to get bugged in 2021 :prize:

Joined Mimile and Ted, just after midnight on New Year's Eve... a couple of minutes later Maki and Melber connected... then when I try to type something... bugged :rofl:

No QTracker entry in my hosts file.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Maki

• 43 birthday is in 1 day (57)