Grand Prix Legends (1998)

8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #1 by NL
Grand Prix Legends (1998) was created by NL
Already discussed in this topic but this game deserves a topic of its own.

For me this is still one of the very best and fun racing simulators of all time. The community has made graphical upgrades so it also looks decent to this day. It is fun because it is hard to master let alone win a race. Try and you will find out :)

1998 simulation of 1967 cars

The game, developed under the direction of David Kaemmer and Randy Cassidy, was published in 1998 by the Papyrus division of Sierra Entertainment. To this day it maintains a reputation as a very realistic race car simulator.[1] Its strong points are fairly accurate car physics (how the car responds and feels on the track), reasonably attractive graphics, impressive engine sound effects, good online racing and solid Internet support from its user community. The weak points are the game's difficulty as the cars are quite difficult to drive well (although many fans consider this to be a virtue, as Formula One cars of that era were difficult to drive compared to modern high-downforce cars), and some minor physics flaws such as primitive aerodynamic modelling.

Wikipedia page about this game

(@Shay, un-install your previous version of the game)
-Download the 3 files from my onedrive: Installation files
-Download Daemon tools lite if you don't have it: Daemon Tools Lite
-Using Daemon Tools mount the .iso file
-Start installation with gplinstall_beta_1.07.exe and point to the mounted .iso (it's a virtual DVD drive)
-Play the game and enjoy.

Don't get frustrated when you slide all over in the beginning, it's not an arcade game and you need to learn how to drive these cars. Also there are settings like brake assist, no damage, novice cars and so on. But if you want the full experience -- use the grand prix car, manual shifting, no assists and set up your car for max speed and cornering :) A steering wheel is recommended, a game pad also works. Not so sure how it would work out with just the keyboard...

If you want some idea about the game check this video: (actual high speed lap starts @ about 9:23)
On his channel you can find many more laps and races.

Trust is hard to gain but easy to lose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ShayoX

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 3 weeks ago #2 by ShayoX
Replied by ShayoX on topic Grand Prix Legends (1998)
Thanks NL! You are my saviour ;) Dude playing this in the video must be pro at driving, i see this is gonna be difficult to learn :D
And the map was so damn beatiful and realistic. I hope keyboard will work with this, i don't have any joysticks :|

8 years 3 weeks ago #3 by NL
Replied by NL on topic Grand Prix Legends (1998)
I think it will be very hard with just the keyboard, consider picking up a gamepad, wheel or joystick, maybe second hand? This game is all about subtle input, too much gas and your tail end spins around, too much brake and your front wheels lock up causing understeer. The cars behave like carts, so you drift a lot, need counter steering and dosed throttle inputs to get you around corners. With a keyboard it is basically: 100% throttle or no throttle. 100% brakes or no brakes. 100% left steer or no steer and so on. But I never tried it so...good luck ;)

8 years 3 weeks ago #4 by ShayoX
Replied by ShayoX on topic Grand Prix Legends (1998)
Yeah, i will have to buy gamepad, keyboard is so hard, only numpad keys work :( With gamepad it would be easier i think.

8 years 3 weeks ago #5 by Stern
Replied by Stern on topic Grand Prix Legends (1998)
I watched this GPlaps channel and this guy is driving little strange, sometimes he is taking turns from a wrong angle and sometimes he hits the apex too early or too late.
Sometimes he is afraid of passing the opponent and goes off the gas and gets stuck behind the car in front and
sometimes he brakes instead of going on full speed.
This happens when the turn is taken with the speed of perfect turn-in-angle and trajectory but taking it with wrong trajectory and then the speed is too much for this turn and player starts to brake.
I know it, i have been through all this with TocaRaceDriver2/3, i corrected my mistakes and now for some tracks the difficulty 110 is not enough.

Good videos but dont learn from him :)

The one who hesitates is lost !

8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #6 by NL
Replied by NL on topic Grand Prix Legends (1998)
Try this game Stern and see if you criticize him again ;) Toca is an easier game than this.
Also keep in mind that he is playing with full damage model, you can lose a wheel easy. He drives to finish the race and tries to not crash other cars.
And there is no downforce with these cars which means you sometimes have to approach a corner in a different line.

• 43 birthday is today (57)