Today In History

2 years 5 months ago #649 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic Today In History
Okay... this Sunday I was thinking about the attack of the Australian Light Horse on Bersheeba in World War 1 AND for some reason I didn't post anything about it here, so here we go back to:

31 October 1917

Thank you Damni for recommending this awesome film. It's legendary!

"Straight and narrow is the path."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 4 months ago #650 by snowman
1 December 1918

Great Union Day is a national holiday in Romania, celebrated on 1 December, marking the unification of Transylvania, Bessarabia, and Bukovina with the Romanian Kingdom in 1918. That's the only motive we entered World War 1, without real hope and against the secret agreement between France and Russia that if the Triple Entante won the war, Transylvania would not return to Romania. Well... anyway, we rushed B suka

The following user(s) said Thank You: Maki, ShayoX

2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #651 by Nikita
Replied by Nikita on topic Today In History
December 10, 1941

Three days after Pearl Harbor, the sinking of Prince of Wales and Repulse by the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service decisively redefines the rules of combat at sea. Naval warfare will be won or loss in the air, the era of battleships is over, the aircraft carrier becomes dominant.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
I was opening my boxes,” Churchill wrote in his war memoirs, “when the telephone at my bedside rang. It was the First Sea Lord [Admiral Sir Dudley Pound]. His voice sounded odd. He gave a sort of cough and gulp, and at first I could not hear quite clearly. ‘Prime Minister, I have to report to you that the Prince of Wales and the Repulse have both been sunk by the Japanese—we think by aircraft. [Vice Admiral] Tom Phillips is drowned.’ ‘Are you sure it’s true?’ ‘There is no doubt at all.’ So I put the telephone down. I was thankful to be alone. In all the war I never received a more direct shock. The reader of these pages will realise how many efforts, hopes, and plans foundered with these two ships. As I turned over and twisted in bed the full horror of the news sank in upon me. There were no British or American capital ships in the Indian Ocean or the Pacific except the American survivors of Pearl Harbour, who were hastening back to California. Over all this vast expanse of waters Japan was supreme, and we everywhere were weak and naked.”   Barry Gough - International Churchill Society
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Juanma66, Maki, Stern, Doc

2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #652 by Nikita
December 15, 1948

After more than two years of research directed by Frédéric Joliot-Curie assisted by the best French atomist scientists of the time, including Lew Kowarski, Bertrand Goldschmidt, Jules Guéron, Francis Perrin, Raoul Dautry and Irène Joliot-Curie, the first French atomic reactor, baptized ZOE  for Zéro de puissance Oxyde d'uranium Eau lourde enters service at Fort de Châtillon , south of Paris.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Maki

2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #653 by Nikita
December 16, 1989

After the decision by the regime of Nicolae Ceaușescu to expel the pastor and politician László Tőkés, spontaneous demonstrations take place in Timisoara. It's the beginning of the Romanian Revolution .

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Juanma66, Maki

2 years 4 months ago #654 by snowman
19 December 2001

The Fellowship of the Ring, the first part of the masterpiece trilogy called The Lord of the Rings, was theatrically released worldwide on 19th of December 2001. All three parts were filmed simultaneously and shoot lasted a record-equaling 16 months, exactly the same time as taken for the principal photography of Apocalypse Now (1979). When the trailer was released on the internet, on 7th April 2001, it was downloaded 1.6 million times in the first twenty-four hours.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikita

• Lukasz birthday is in 5 days (41)