What's up at home today...?

3 years 6 months ago #1759 by Nikita
Replied by Nikita on topic What's up at home today...?
The guilty. It's the mobile part that allows the setting of the headset. Fixing it with glue and/or duct tape only will not be resistant enough, so i think to secure it with a pair of thin metal strips to reinforce it. Will see what it gives. :confused:

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #1760 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic What's up at home today...?
Good luck, Nik :)

I have somehow fixed this kind of headset problem. I used to make two holes on each side,
with something pointy(steel) that would go through plastic when hot(heated on fire) close
to each edge, run a wire through them and bring the two broken parts together. Then you
can use the tape. It's not a perfect fix, but worked for me.

What I have now for the price of 50 Euros, but it was worth it. I enjoy the sound quality and they don't break.

"Straight and narrow is the path."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikita

3 years 6 months ago #1761 by Damni
Replied by Damni on topic What's up at home today...?
Stand aside people!!!!
--- FRENCH ARTISAN AT WORK ---

Check out my photos on Pixelfed
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Nikita

3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #1762 by Nikita

Should be something like that, just a first sketch for giving an idea. I think about a kind of sandwich with the two broken plastic parts taken between metalic reinforcement strips. I will not use glue, in order to ensure elastic deformation and anyway, if it broke, it would break again in the same way, for lack of elasticity. Indeed, i think it is not the plastic itself which is involved, because the part broke after a very short time of use, so i hardly believe that it is resulting of fatique of material . In my opinion, it is rather a design problem that the central groove, where the cable passes, acts as a stiffening rib on the longitudinal axis, dramatiquely decreasing the elasticity of the whole part at the precise location where it is the most needed, and resulting in a distinct central breakage on the transverse axis, perfectly visible on the pictures. Perhaps i'm wrong but, for me, i would rather have drawn these ribs, also the lateral ones, according to a crenellated profile, a bit like that of a belt...

Also, i think that, on this kind of low cost gaming headset, the savings were not made on the plastic but rather on the engineering hours in the design office (i was about to say "as usual")... Whatever, the point now is to find some steel that is thin, resistant, elastic and easy to work. Perhaps that cutting some strips from a can lid could make the job... If it works, then i'll stick a cover of black duct tape as a finishing coat.

Also, the ø1 holes are indicative and actually there will be double symetric holes on the external strip. Of course Nik ! :slap:

Well, once the plan is made, let's get to it with concrete stuff and, after all...

Warning: Spoiler!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Damni, Stern

3 years 6 months ago #1763 by Stern
Replied by Stern on topic What's up at home today...?
Oh. you can make tech drawings...:gj:

This one i made for winding frame for the transformer used in amplifier...

Talking about transformers... in your case first thing i would go for some EI core I sheet

Some of them already have holes in them...

But yes maybe a metal can would help, you could laminate them if one isnt strong enough.

The one who hesitates is lost !
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Nikita, Damni

3 years 6 months ago #1764 by Nikita
Yes, i think that, for the inside, where i have the most space, i will make several stacked steel leaves, much like a leaf spring. For steel, the first criterion is elasticity, the second is thinness. I also think maybe strip some random electric pole this evening during Django's ride, to recover one of these that are used to secure the electrical and telecom boxes. Could be useful ... :sarcy:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman

• Lukasz birthday is in 3 days (41)
  • spartacus birthday is in 10 days (63)