Today In History

9 years 3 weeks ago #265 by Damni
Replied by Damni on topic Today In History
I'm shocked every single time I read the casualties of these WW1 battles:

German casualties from 21 April – 30 May were recorded as 34,933 by the Official Historians of the Reichsarchv. British casualties recorded in the British Official History were 59,275 men and the French had c. 18,000 casualties on 22 April and another 3,973 casualties from 26–29 April. Canadian casualties from 22 April – 3 May were 5,975 of whom c. 1,000 men were killed, the worst day being 24 April when 3,058 casualties were suffered during infantry attacks, artillery bombardments, and gas discharges.

Check out my photos on Pixelfed
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Nikita, jacobston

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #266 by Nikita
Replied by Nikita on topic Today In History
I don't want to talk about "clean war" but, when you consider WW1, you realise that it's a total failure of the strategic and tactic concepts. Most of the battles are nothing else but frontal fights, furious slaughters where the raw materials are human flesh and blood, and which often provide a nil result on the strategic aspect. The way to conduct this war was finally to have an alive soldier more than the enemy. In Verdun, General von Falkenhayn had his famous word "to bleed the French army dry". One can consider that this way was the general way during WW1.
In comparison, during the first part of WW2 and on German side (while French side was still sleeping), the evolution of the strategic thinking is blatant, the Blitzkrieg was conducted in a very much more intelligent way, and even i dare to say brilliant. The Germans learned the lessons of WW1, the French didn't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, jacobston

9 years 3 weeks ago #267 by Max.
Replied by Max. on topic Today In History
April 22, 1945: Troops of the 1st Belorussian Front, advancing on Berlin, the city released Biesenthal, Kalberge, Kleynshenebek, Friedrichshagen, Furstenwalde and the suburbs of Berlin: Glinikke, Lübars, Blankenfelde, Rosenthal, Buchholz, Karow, Blankenburg, Malchow Veysenzee, Marzahn , Bisdorf, Mahlsdorf, Sheneyhe, Fichtenau, Vilgelmskhagen.
Red Army liberated prisoners of the Nazi concentration camp of Sachsenhausen, established in 1936 near Potsdam. In the camp, destroyed more than 100 thousand. Prisoners.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Nikita, Rs_Funzo, Maki

9 years 2 weeks ago #268 by Max.
April 26, 1986 there was the largest nuclear technological disaster in the world - the accident at the Chernobyl AES.26 April 1986 there was the largest nuclear technological disaster in the world - the accident at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Nikita, Kure

9 years 2 weeks ago #269 by Max.
30 april 1945. Hitler committed suicide. Disputes about his death do not cease today

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Maki

9 years 2 weeks ago #270 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic Today In History
He looks dead to me :lol:

"Straight and narrow is the path."

No upcoming Birthdays