Today In History

8 years 9 months ago #301 by Nikita
Replied by Nikita on topic Today In History
July 20, 1969

:gj:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Rs_Funzo, Maki, jacobston

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #302 by Nikita
August 10, 1945

One day after the nuclear bombing of Nagasaki, the Japan emperor Hirohito makes a statement accepting the Allied declaration of Potsdam.
The surrender of Japan will be officially signed three weeks after, on September 2, 1945, aboard USS Missouri.

"I have given serious thought to the situation prevailing at home and abroad and have concluded that continuing the war can only mean destruction for the nation and prolongation of bloodshed and cruelty in the world. I cannot bear to see my innocent people suffer any longer. ...

I was told by those advocating a continuation of hostilities that by June new divisions would be in place in fortified positions [at Kujūkuri Beach, east of Tokyo] ready for the invader when he sought to land. It is now August and the fortifications still have not been completed. ...

There are those who say the key to national survival lies in a decisive battle in the homeland. The experiences of the past, however, show that there has always been a discrepancy between plans and performance. I do not believe that the discrepancy in the case of Kujūkuri can be rectified. Since this is also the shape of things, how can we repel the invaders? [He then made some specific reference to the increased destructiveness of the atomic bomb]

It goes without saying that it is unbearable for me to see the brave and loyal fighting men of Japan disarmed. It is equally unbearable that others who have rendered me devoted service should now be punished as instigators of the war. Nevertheless, the time has come to bear the unbearable. ...

I swallow my tears and give my sanction to the proposal to accept the Allied proclamation on the basis outlined by the Foreign Minister."

What a paid price for some lucidity ...

EDIT : Pfff ... May 10 ... Whatever ... Sorry lads, it was of course August 10. Correction made (really don't know why i wrote May ... :undecided: ) :mm3:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Rs_Funzo, Juanma66, NL, Maki, jacobston, paul

8 years 8 months ago #303 by Serkses
Replied by Serkses on topic Today In History
Very good video about real ww2 history. Enjoy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikita

8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #304 by Serkses
Replied by Serkses on topic Today In History
August 14, 1945 (annually today) Japan accepts the imposed unconditional surrender. On photos reactions od people for a a speech radio of a emperor Hirohito about capitulation.

Attachments:

8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #305 by Juanma66
Replied by Juanma66 on topic Today In History
... And the sky turned red ...
EXPLOSION OF POLVORINES in Cadiz. - 1947

On this day, the afternoon of August 18, 1947, the arsenals of the Navy, in the district of San Severiano in Cadiz, with thousands of antisubmarine mines exploded taking the lives of over 150 people and injured thousands.

Such was the devastation that almost had to tear down the ruins of the neighborhood of San Severiano, which was located including the Creche of Cadiz, where many children and nuns died, the Instittuto Hydrographic Navy, it is also affected station rail and shipyards Echevarrieta, among other facilities.

We show you a petition, the bottom of the Civil Government, a person requesting page is a ticket to Madrid, to be one of those affected by the explosion in the San Severiano, to be spending a few days with the family, not have economic means to travel.

not fear the enemy that attacks you,
be afraid of the false friend that hugs you
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Nikita, Rs_Funzo, Maki

8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #306 by Nikita
August 19, 1942

Operation Jubilee
The deadliest operation of WW2 for Canadian troops

Geopolitical context:

- 1942 is "the black year" for the Allies. The Axis forces are triumphing on all fronts.
- Stalin insists more and more for the Allies open a second front in Europe, to relieve stress for the Red Army on the Eastern Front, where Soviet troops are enduring all the deadliest power of the nazi war machine. On this precise point, one can understand the position of the "little father of the peoples".
- Canadian troops have not been yet involved in the conflict, and this is politically untenable for the head of the Canadian government, Prime Minister Mackenzie King.

Strategic context:

- Since the entry in war of the United States, Hitler knows that the Allies will, sooner or later, land on the coasts of Western Europe (sometimes, the guy was lucid ...). He gave the order to cover the European coast with indestructible fortifications, "from Kirkenes to the Pyrenees".
The organization Todt is already well into the work of the "Festung Europa".

- In this configuration, the ports are, and will be, key targets and vital points for both the Allies and the Axis. The Allies need to know what they're dealing with.

On August 19, 1942, at 4:45 AM, the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division of General John Hamilton Roberts, accompanied by two British Commando units, 50 men of the US Rangers and 15 Marine Commandos of the Free French Forces, and supported by fighters squadrons of the Royal Air Force and Polish Air Force, give assault on the beaches of Dieppe.

The rest of the story is here ...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Juanma66, Maki, jacobston

• Lukasz birthday is today (41)
  • spartacus birthday is in 7 days (63)
  • Kahuna birthday is in 8 days (39)