Today In History

8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #295 by Nikita
Replied by Nikita on topic Today In History
June 25, 1950

At dawn, after a formidable artillery fire, 135 000 North-Korean soldiers cross the 38th parallel. It's the beginning of the Korean War .

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Rs_Funzo, Juanma66

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 10 months ago #296 by Rs_Funzo
Replied by Rs_Funzo on topic Today In History
June 25, 1876.
George Armstrong Custer is killed in the battle of Little Bighorn.

-VIS ET HONOR-
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman

8 years 9 months ago #297 by Rs_Funzo
1-27 July 1942: first battle of El Alamein.

Rommel said:"then the power of resistance of many Italian formations collapsed. The duties of comradeship, for me particularly as their Commander-in-Chief, compel me to state unequivocally that the defeats which the Italian formations suffered at Alamein in early July were not the fault of the Italian soldier. The Italian was willing, unselfish and a good, and, considering the conditions under which he served, had always given better than average. There is no doubt that the achievement of every Italian unit, especially of the motorised forces, far surpassed anything that the Italian Army had done for a hundred years. Many Italian generals and officers won our admiration both as men and as soldiers. The cause of the Italian defeat had its roots in the whole Italian military state and system, in their poor armament and in the general lack of interest in the war by many Italians, both officers and statesmen. This Italian failure frequently prevented the realisation of my plans".

"A lack of fortune, not of valour".

Credit: en.wikipedia.org

-VIS ET HONOR-
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikita, Juanma66, Maki, jacobston

8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #298 by Nikita
Replied by Nikita on topic Today In History
July 14, 1789

The people of Paris storms the Bastille

Okay, basically, what's happening?

Since July 12, it’s the brothel in Paris. The people is very hot, king Louis XVI just fired Necker . Necker is his Chief Minister and he's very popular. Two years ago, he was general controller of finances, he worked to bring order into the coffers of France, who at that time was virtually bankrupt, not surprising considering the lifestyle of kings for the past two centuries at least ... Inevitably, it goes badly with the nobility ... So Louis XVI fires Necker :slap: . As we say in France, il aurait mieux fait de chier un pain de deux … Forget it, any Gogogolou translator crashes on it, it's normal. :mm1:

So the people of Paris got nerves. A guy shows up at a crossroads, he's a lawyer and a journalist. He starts to harangue the crowd, calling to arms against the government of king. His name is Camille Desmoulins. He doesn't know it, but the nickname "detonator" fits him perfectly well ...

Two hours later, demonstrators processions arrive at the Tuileries. They carry effigy busts of Necker. The cavalry charges. Deads and woundeds among the demonstrators. And here we go ...

During the night, 80% of the grant barriers of Paris are burning. The rioters organize and form a "citizen militia" of 48 000 men. Heading : The Invalides, where the guns are stored.

Yeah, the guns, but neither the bullets nor the gunpowder ... We’re in France ...

And where are they, the bullets and the gunpowder …? Hu…? Hu…?

Yeaaa … At the Bastille ...

And here we are ... Now, if you want to continue and / or resume in detail, there's Wikipedia ...

Afterwards, there are images or folklore, the people united freeing his comrades imprisoned by the despised power and tutti quanti ...

Yea… What i say is that symbols are smart, but just try to play the fool today in France by taking literally aux armes citoyens

Sure, the song, it will come later ...
:sarcy:

Other than that, i'm up since 6:00, i already went out to make my market. There were festivities last night.
There are no many small flags in the streets, but how much beer cans on the pavements ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, jacobston

8 years 9 months ago #299 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic Today In History

"Straight and narrow is the path."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikita, Rs_Funzo, Maki

8 years 9 months ago #300 by Rs_Funzo
Great people that fought for its freedom.
Chapeau!

-VIS ET HONOR-

• Lukasz birthday is today (41)
  • spartacus birthday is in 7 days (63)
  • Kahuna birthday is in 8 days (39)