Mod Manager

2 years 11 months ago #13 by MeToX
Replied by MeToX on topic Mod Manager
Yes, it seems to be a bit funky right now, but I will try to make it more robust in the next update.
I will also see what I can do about the issues it currently has under linux, so my goals are:
- fixing the mpmaplist module <- this one has multiple little issues. It's experimental, so keep that in mind before you activate it. Backup your mpmalists.
- check directory names <- now, what I mean is in windows Scripts is the same as scripts, but in linux it would create 2 different folders and this is a problem I was'nt thinking of

I just want to quickly explain how the mod manager exactly works:
As we know, the H&D2 game endine priotizes extracted files, beeing just in the folder. Those would overwrite the ones in the .DTA archive. The mod manager is using this to our advantage. As I explained in the other thread, packing the mods into .dta wouldnt help, because the H&D2 wouldnt pick those up, unless you change the executive, which I don't want, because I want to keep the games integrity.
So what the mod manager does is, it checks all the .zip files you have in the folder you gave it to. Then you can just click them inside the listbox and use the keys in the middle "<" ">" to either activate or deactive them.
When you activate a mod, the mod manager will extract all the files inside the .zip archive into your games directory, so that the game should be able to read them.
When you remove the mod, it will delete this files again, but always keeps the .zip archives intact.
Now, what happens if you activate a second mod, which may have files with the same name? Like another texture? Then the Mod Manager will not just overwrite you, it will trigger a conflict event, sending a prompt to the user which tells him what the mod its called it conflicts. The user can then decide, if he wants to overwrite all the files corresponding to that mod, or if he wants to skip those, so this is a question of which mod files have priority. The ModManager knows which files belong to the mod. If you told it to overwrite, it won't ask you again, unless its a different mod it collides with.
The same should happen if it finds files but with no reference to the mod.

Now this seems to work fine, atleast I haven't received any complaints about it, but the biggest problem is the mpmaplist feature, which I will of course take care of.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #14 by Stern
Replied by Stern on topic Mod Manager
It works, but when mpmaplist.txt is inside the ZIP, then it gets stuck and after some time it crashes.

And can it put map to correct section in mpmaplist.txt ?
If its DM or COOP.

What if original zip file is deleted and mod is deactivated - will it be lost ?

Test it again. The setting that modifies the maplist doesn't work very well :) Some missions from the maplist were removed and for some reason the logs say there's only mission in the maplist. I don't understand

It messes up maplist ? can you find where ?

The one who hesitates is lost !

2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #15 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic Mod Manager
The mod works fine and I'm even using it even on remote. It's very convenient this way.

Edit: except the maplist part.

"Straight and narrow is the path."

2 years 11 months ago #16 by MeToX

It works, but when mpmaplist.txt is inside the ZIP, then it gets stuck and after some time it crashes.

Okay... this is super weird, but I need to track this down. It does that when you try to activate the mod? Does it happen with all mods with a mpmaplist? Does it also happen if you deactivate the mpmaplist feature?

And can it put map to correct section in mpmaplist.txt ?
If its DM or COOP.

Yes of course, It loads all gamestyles and will place it to where-ever it was defined from its origin. If the mpmaplist in the mod says "DEATHMATCH" it will place it there.
But to make it work, the mpmaplist in the mod must be made in a way that the game could, in theory, read it as well, so it needs all the <TAGS>.

What if original zip file is deleted and mod is deactivated - will it be lost ?

If you delete the ZIP file from your mods folder and if you then deactivate the mod, the mod will be indeed lost, yes. The ModManager won't check if the .zip archive is still there or not, it assumes that the user wants to remove the mod for good.

Edit: except the maplist part.

I will PM you a few test versions soon, until it works the way expected.

2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #17 by Stern
Replied by Stern on topic Mod Manager
No this not happen when maplist mod is turned off from menu.

And add Buttons:
Yes To All
No To All

*Its not so interesting pressing NO button to prevent overwrite 350 times 

And now i see what happens to mpmaplist.txt:
You have to save it Line by Line.
Maybe you precess it as a data not text form ?
Loosing all line brakes ?

The one who hesitates is lost !
Attachments:

2 years 11 months ago #18 by MeToX

And add Buttons:
Yes To All
No To All

What do you mean exactly, which section are you referring to?

And now i see what happens to mpmaplist.txt:
You have to save it Line by Line.
Maybe you precess it as a data not text form ?
Loosing all line brakes ?

Its not necessary to save line by line. It copies that whole block 1:1 of data between the GAMESTYLE tags out and inserts it to the main mpmaplist. If the mpmaplist from the mod has no line breaks (\n), then it would also not appear in the main mpmaplist.

• Lukasz birthday is in 3 days (41)
  • spartacus birthday is in 10 days (63)