Today In History

11 years 4 weeks ago #133 by Juanma66
Replied by Juanma66 on topic Today In History

Maybe this will interest you Bernard, Map of Napoleon's troops in the attack on the city Cadiz

"Plan de Cadiz et de ses environs comprenant les Travaux exécutés ...

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8492414k/f1.zoom.r=cadix.langES

not fear the enemy that attacks you,
be afraid of the false friend that hugs you
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikita

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 4 weeks ago #134 by Nikita
Replied by Nikita on topic Today In History
Ah, thank you for that Juanma. Of course i'm interested. As i said earlier, i think, i'm interested in the strategic and tactical aspects of the battle, they are the work of Caesar, Napoleon or Rommel. Having said that, in terms of Napoleon as head of state, it's another story...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juanma66

11 years 4 weeks ago - 11 years 4 weeks ago #135 by Nikita
April 19, 1943

The Warsaw Ghetto uprise

"My nie chcemy ratować życia. Żaden z nas żywy z tego nie wyjdzie. My chcemy ratować ludzką godność."
(We don't want to save lives. Nobody will go out of here alive. We want to save human dignity.)
Arie "Jurek" Wilner
Soldier of the ZOB, Jewish fight organisation

"Ils voulaient simplement ne plus vivre à genoux."
Jean Ferrat
Nuit et brouillard
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman

11 years 3 weeks ago #136 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic Today In History
1944/45 Uprising in Warsaw! (High Quality)

Not exactly the ghetto, but nice to watch :nod:

"Straight and narrow is the path."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikita

11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #137 by Nikita

Yep Snow, if this video talk about 1944, this is about the uprise of the city itself, that started on August 1, 1944.

These events are also dramatic because History knows that Stalin, who was very hostile to the idea of ​​an independent Poland, ordered the Red Army to stop its advance at West, allowing Hitler's troops to crush the uprising, to slaughter the population and to completely destroy the city.
Of course it was much easier for Stalin to then enter a ghost town and to put it under his boot, under the pretext of "freeing" it... This is very clearly explained here .

The Red Army entered Warsaw only in mid January 1945. Knowing that the Yalta conference was planned two weeks later, it is clear that Stalin wanted to be present at his maximum power — the Soviet occupation of Poland being a fait accompli — and that the "sharing" of Europe after the war was already present in his mind. The Cold War began early ...
Attachments:

11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #138 by Nikita
May 7, 1954

In Diên Biên Phu, at 5:00 pm, the ceasefire ordered by French general Cogny comes into effect. On the Éliane 10 position, the last French soldiers destroy the remaining weapons and ammunitions. At 5:30 pm, the troops of the division 308 of Vietnamese general Giap surround the entrenched camp. It's the end of the French colonies in Indochina. The battle of Diên Biên Phu will have cost the life of 8000 Vietnamese soldiers and 2300 French soldiers, not including the missing, the wounded and those who will die in the prison camps.

However, the lesson will not be understood by the French authorities who hang on to their colonial empire. In Algeria, in the months and the years which will follow, a lot of blood will have to flow again, before they accept the inevitable march of history and the fact that the colonizer, whatever the mask behind which he hides, whatever the reasons he calls to try to legitimize his action, is the occupier of a country which is not his own and that this role, in the short or long term, is the loser's one.

“Every empire, however, tells itself and the world that it is unlike all other empires,
that its mission is not to plunder and control but to educate and liberate."
Edward W. Said
Attachments:

• Xiadz birthday is in 10 days (27)