What are you cooking?

2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #541 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic What are you cooking?
Croissant
&
Pain au Chocolat
(with tangerine glaze)

Attachment IMG_20220122_124058_657.jpg not found

This is only my 7th bake in just a bit over 5 years, so it's better if you follow a professional recipe Here is the list of ingredients on Saturday's bake. Prepared everything before going to bed and woke up at 3 AM, taking advantage of the freezer on the other side of the window for resting the dough in the laminating process

Dough
500 g Flour
125 g Water
125 g Milk
50 g Butter
50 g Sugar
50 g Egg (a fresh one)
20 g Yeast (Lievito di birra)
10 g Salt
Honey (, I'm home! )

275 g Butter Slab (82% fat) - made 4 hours before the dough, then rested in the fridge

Optional: tangerines and chocolate

First thing I did is to prepare the tangerine glaze. Put the juice of 1 and 1/2 tangerines and 4 teaspoons of sugar inside a small pot, on the stove, to create a syrup.  I turned off the fire when it was starting to make thicker bubbles. It was basically jam consistency. I decided to keep half of tangerine so I can mix the juice with that jam before brushing the baked goods, creating a smooth runny glaze.

Attachment IMG_20220121_202640_663.jpg not found

For the pain au chocolat I used the legendary Kinder chocolate. Easy to cut in two and have one chocolate for each pastry piece.

Attachment IMG_20220121_211627_802.jpg not found

It's important to make the measurements for the butter layer(275g square slab) and try to make a nice square. Parchment paper helps because once the butter is chilled, you can easily unfold the paper and set the slap upside down on the dough rectangle.

Attachment IMG_20220121_223910_480.jpg not found

Close the paper and then use the rolling pin to smooth the surface and get the butter nice and even to the lines you just measured. This is a 18 cm square.

Attachment IMG_20220121_224726_136.jpg not found

The croissant dough is basically brioche dough. I made it by hand mixing all the dry ingredients with the crushed beer yeast and room temperature butter, then I incorporated the water, milk and the egg(that was generously mixed with a fork). Once everything was kind of mixed, I added a tablespoon of honey. It's a nice soft dough so your fingers will get sticky. Don't be an amateur to clean the dough off your fingers, just continue mixing... mostly stretch and fold after everything is mixed together. Then you start to grab the dough with your hand, as much as you can grab, pull up and let go, immediately grabbing it again... just like those Italian mixers where the hook looks more like a hand. After 5-6 minutes of doing this, you can let the dough rest for a minute

The final phase you get your hand between the bowl and the dough and you pull it up from the side of the bowl and keep grabbing it like that while turning the bowl. Do it for a few minutes until it becomes smooth. You will see the dough get some elasticity and not stick to your fingers or the bowl so much. It's holding together nicely. Follow Gerard's method here . If you get tired quickly you can take a rest and then repeat for 2 more minutes.

Attachment IMG_20220122_044050_933.jpg not found

Get a pan, some plastic wrap, which you flour a bit and put your dough there. Fold the plastic wrap so everything is closed nicely. Let the dough rest/ferment for about 2h 30m. For me the room temperature was 19.5 ° C

After 2 hours, I got the butter slab out of the fridge. You let it rest at room temperature for 30 mins or so. *Some quality French butter, you don't need to chill it in the fridge. At 2h 30m, I moved the dough outside to cool it down for 30 minutes more, so a total of 3 hours. You might need to put the butter slab next to the dough in your freezer or outside in the freezing weather  for a few minutes(only if it becomes too soft). Both the dough and butter need to have a similar consistency: soft and pliable. The closer they are in temperature and consistency the better.

Attachment IMG_20220122_073559_870.jpg not found

You need to roll the dough with your rolling pin to about 40 cm x 20 cm and place your butter in the middle. You then fold the dough over the butter, like you close a book. Gently press with the rolling pin so the two layers stick to each other. Make sure you seal both open ends. The seam should be facing you like this "|", and you start rolling gently but firmly, making sure you have enough flour on both the surface of the dough and your table

Once you rolled it to about 65 cm, you make a tour double

Attachment IMG_20220122_074503_235.jpg not found

Then you turn the dough 90 degrees and you roll it again

Attachment IMG_20220122_075116_929.jpg not found

After the second time, you make a tour simple as described in the above photo. Make sure your have a lil bit of flour on the table and move your dough around so it can stretch easier than when sticking to the surface of your table.

Attachment IMG_20220122_075356_019.jpg not found

Congratulations, you have finished laminating your dough    

What I did now is I rested the dough outside in the freezing cold   for 20-30 minutes. It helps relax the dough before the final rolling and shaping our goodies

"Straight and narrow is the path."
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maki

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #542 by snowman
Make sure your butter doesn't become hard again, or you're This is the first time I get it right. I rolled it to about 4-5 mm thick and to have one side at about over 35 cm. The pain au chocolat will be 15 cm and the croissants will be 20 cm... in length. That's how I did it, you can do it how you like.

Attachment IMG_20220122_084218_003.jpg not found

Now you place your chocolate and then you make the cuts that you then roll. Make sure the seam is always on the bottom once you place your croissants and/or chocolat goodies on the tray

Attachment IMG_20220122_084526_583.jpg not found

This is a sign of a job well done... look at those layers

Attachment IMG_20220122_085735_426.jpg not found

For the croissants I usually make an incision with the knife in the middle of the base of the triangle. If you make a big enough cut and you roll it firm enough, you get nice "ears" like Nik says, and you can give them a nicer/ original shape, but I'm not going to do that

Beat one egg with your fork and brush it on your goodies

Attachment IMG_20220122_092831_793.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20220122_093123_105.jpg not found

I think I left them rest for about 2 hours or a bit more. Not sure, but they should look like this

Attachment IMG_20220122_094955_157.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20220122_095043_207.jpg not found

Before baking you brush them with egg wash again and then glaze once you take them out of the oven. You should bake them depending on your oven. For me it was around 25 minutes. Preheating the oven for 20 minutes. I start the bake at maximum heat for 8 minutes, then lower the temperature to minimum and turn the croissants after 12 minutes(half way). I don't have a thermometer... it's an oven from the 80's

Attachment IMG_20220122_123328_853.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20220122_130310_984.jpg not found

This was my best croissant bake so far. This was also the first time I made pain au chocolat. Well, I'm not even an amateur

Attachment IMG_20220122_135636_799.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20220122_135408_200.jpg not found

Enjoy

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikita, Maki

2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #543 by Nikita
Replied by Nikita on topic What are you cooking?

Le client : Garçon! Garçon , s’il vous plaît, Je voudrais un café-crème , avec 2 croissants.

Le garçon : Je m’excuse, monsieur, nous n’avons plus du tout de croissants .

Le client: Ah ! Ah ben , ça ne fait rien alors ... Je vais prendre autre chose, ça fait rien, on a tellement d'ennui, entre nous, hein , chacun dans sa vie privée , on n'a que des soucis, alors on ne va pas s'en faire entre nous... Vous n'avez qu'à me donner un café nature, alors, un café nature....avec 2 croissants.

Le garçon : Monsieur, je m'excuse, je me suis peut-être mal exprimé...... Je vous dis que les croissants, nous n'en avons plus, on n'a plus du tout de croissants.

Le client : Ah ben là, ça change tout! S'il n'y en a plus, je ne peux pas en avoir, forcément ..Ben ça ne fait rien, je vais prendre autre chose alors... Euh... je ne sais pas moi, n'importe quoi... Euh...du lait... vous avez du lait ? Eh ben, donnez-moi donc une tasse de lait ...avec 2 croissants.

Le garçon : ça ne va pas ? Vous êtes un peu fatigué, vous, non ? Je vous dis que les croissants, nous n'en avons plus. Vous savez ce que c'est que les croissants ? Les croissants, vous savez, les croissants ? Les croissants, c'est fini! Les bretzels, Les brioches, oui! Les croissants, non!

Le client : Faut pas vous énerver pour ça ! Mais ça fait rien. Ecoutez, je ne suis pas le client embêtant, je vais vous dire : donnez moi ce que vous voulez! Je ne peux pas mieux vous dire... du thé , du chocolat... vous avez du chocolat au lait ? Donnez moi une petite tasse de chocolat au lait alors...avec 2 croissants.

Un autre client : Dites-donc, vous , vous en avez encore pour longtemps à embêter ce garçon ?

Le client : Mais je vous connais pas, vous !

L'autre client : Moi Je suis client, Monsieur, je suis comme vous. J'étais derrière la colonne ; vous ne m'avez peut être pas vu, mais moi je vous ai entendu. Vous n'êtes pas malade, non ? Qu'est - ce qui vous prend d'embêter ce garçon? Et gnagnagna et gnagnagna...

Le client : Mais..

L'autre client : Taisez vous! Laissez-moi vous dire, Monsieur, que vous avez de la chance d’avoir à faire à un garçon qui a de la patience. Parce que moi, Garçon, si j’avais été à votre place, il y a longtemps que j’aurais pris les 2 croissants, et que je lui les aurais foutu sur la gueule!
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, Maki

2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #544 by Nikita
Replied by Nikita on topic What are you cooking?
That said, i would be curious to taste it with the Kinder chocolate, worth to try it. Usually, pain au chocolat (some call them chocolatine) are made with rather classic chocolate.  Anyway, the best croissants are of course those made by my baker ( and, honestly, perhaps this is linked with the pretty butt she has...  )

Attachment 33540397_1209687975833803_2647735230747639808_n.jpg not found

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman

2 years 2 months ago #545 by snowman
I still have one of each left. You can have them if you like. Btw, do you like them with Cappuccino?

That client sounds like my mother :rofl:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikita

2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #546 by snowman

That said, i would be curious to taste it with the Kinder chocolate, worth to try it. Usually, pain au chocolat (some call them chocolatine) are made with rather classic chocolate.   ​​​​​​​

I know, but I didn't have any dark chocolate. Kinder was easy, I only had to cut each in half and I'd have one for each pain au chocolat. In the bakeries I see these bâtons which are perfect.

I would actually fill them with Orangettes

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikita

• 43 birthday is today (57)