Movies & Series

5 years 5 months ago #517 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic Movies & Series
The great movies were made until 50's and 60's. Very few from 70's on...

I'm guessing the atmosphere in Hollywood is definitely rolling on the politically correct
crap, so that's what the actors and movies are. Plus they sell a lot on blood, violence
and sex. There's absolutely no swearing in the old movies, but nowadays they sell
on low quality language. I really like the quality of the image, actors and scenes, but
new movies/series lack the essence. They appeal very much to the emotional of
the masses. Yes there are still good movies here and there, but I'd rather watch
a classic for the 11th time :rofl:

"Straight and narrow is the path."
The following user(s) said Thank You: snakeplissken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 5 months ago #518 by NL
Replied by NL on topic Movies & Series
I think you can find gems in any decade.

Trust is hard to gain but easy to lose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman

5 years 5 months ago #519 by snakeplissken
Replied by snakeplissken on topic Movies & Series

snowman wrote: The great movies were made until 50's and 60's. Very few from 70's on...

I'm guessing the atmosphere in Hollywood is definitely rolling on the politically correct
crap, so that's what the actors and movies are. Plus they sell a lot on blood, violence
and sex. There's absolutely no swearing in the old movies, but nowadays they sell
on low quality language. I really like the quality of the image, actors and scenes, but
new movies/series lack the essence. They appeal very much to the emotional of
the masses. Yes there are still good movies here and there, but I'd rather watch
a classic for the 11th time :rofl:

Its not just about Political correctness, its some thing larger.

Cinema is Art. Present Cinema has become purely BUSINESS. Its no longer about Art, its about making $$$. Profanity, sex, gore & other impulsive things SELLS in today's markets. So who wants to produce Cinema from point of view of Art?

Art is a deep concept. It portraits a theme in an intellectually crafted manner (whether its war, Romance, thriller, comedy, Documentary or anything). Art is also a reflection of society.

Present Cinema is about selling impulses. Gore, sex, Profanity, Drugs....these themes are bundled in a crude package and its all good as long as it makes $$$ on the box office.

But yes, Political correctness has also impacted Cinema. This can be clearly observed from movies in War and Politics themes. And even beyond that in terms of social issues like Race, religion & social class. Some examples of Political movies of 50s & 60s. Advise & Consent and 7 days in May. You will never see such kind of films or even themes produced anymore.

5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #520 by snakeplissken

NL wrote: I think you can find gems in any decade.

You can. But there are many more Gems in old cinema than modern cinema. Mind you that characterizing something as a Gem is a matter of opinion.

Something Modern Cinema will always beat Old Cinema is in terms of Modern Special effects and technology. Movies on Space Travel & ET and SciFi will always be cooler in modern film industry compared to old films. Older Cinema simply didn't have the capability & technology to produce themes of Space Travel & ET.

So yes, Technological advancements has given one unmatched advantage to film industry in several themes that older cinema could never have.

5 years 5 months ago #521 by snakeplissken
Not much effort to find some old movies. They are readily available on Youtube.

As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me 2001 (English Subtitles)

5 years 5 months ago #522 by NL
Replied by NL on topic Movies & Series

Something Modern Cinema will always beat Old Cinema is in terms of Modern Special effects and technology. Movies on Space Travel & ET and SciFi will always be cooler in modern film industry compared to old films. Older Cinema simply didn't have the capability & technology to produce themes of Space Travel & ET.

While that is true I disagree that is the only progress that has been made.
Method of acting, scripting and directing, lighting and photography have come a long way and now depict almost real life behavior. This in sharp contrast to many older films in which the acting is cliche, unnatural or "larger than life".

Like you said it is a matter of opinion and taste. I think you and snowman probably like the nostalgia of older movies, maybe even because the world (and so the plots) was simpler back then. Nothing wrong with that. I just think it is nonsense to say good movies are no longer made, maybe you just don't find them among the mainstream productions and should look more into smaller, indie productions which of course are harder to find.

Trust is hard to gain but easy to lose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damni, jacobston

• Lukasz birthday is in 3 days (41)
  • spartacus birthday is in 10 days (63)