× Before posting here please make sure you have read our FAQ and if suitable our 'Play Online' and 'Create Server' tutorials

Please try to avoid general topic titles as: "Need help", "Problem occurred", etc.

HD2 - Steam version CD key problem - possible fix!

6 years 3 months ago #13 by ShayoX
Yeah this is a major problem...
I have a legit CD Key too, on my original game box, full game without any cuts or something (in short both multi and single)
We really need to solve this problem :beat:
The only solution that has worked for me is this:
I was joining Mihai, Sasha and Snow on private coop, it said CD Key in use, I have tried everything (believe me, everything)
Then I came up with idea that Snow could restart the server, waited for them to finish the map, server restarted and I could finally join the game without any cd key in use bullshit pop ups.

I don't know if that solution would work for anyone else, didn't test. Would need a help from someone who has access to server controls etc restart it for example.
Even if somebody uses someone else's cd key it would be hard to tell if there are multiple players on server which one is it

GOG and STEAM players should be the ones to struggle with this cd key in use bullshit not the players that have LEGIT CD Keys...
GOG and STEAM players could try to use that key generator but also it can generate an legit key of somebody else :/
GOG and STEAM players should be free to play on servers too without any disturbance, this CD Key shit needs to be solved, I agree that admins of the servers need to have a special place on the server and nothing can interrupt that place example cd key in use pop up, but we can't just kick all the GOG and STEAM players out because they are blocking us or have the same cd key. This situation must have a solution we just need to find it out.
GOG and STEAM players can also have different keys everytime they block someone by using the generator, generate until they won't block anyone or something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 3 months ago #14 by NL
Key generator may work for GOG but if I understood correctly not with steam because it changes a changed key back to the standard one every time you start steam.

Trust is hard to gain but easy to lose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ShayoX

6 years 3 months ago #15 by ShayoX

NL wrote: Key generator may work for GOG but if I understood correctly not with steam because it changes a changed key back to the standard one every time you start steam.

Well, that's shit... What about making steam H&D2 registry to be read only after changing the key?

6 years 3 months ago #16 by Maki
If we can't solve this problem, I agree with NL for me the owners of legal keys are priority with regard to those whose key is generated .I think that the administrators if they have a legal key are entitled to disconnect and unban immediately the players . For me I have a legal key, this problem didn't come yet.
Let's wait for the opinions of other members
:embarassed:
The following user(s) said Thank You: NL

6 years 3 months ago #17 by NL
Pat, did you install the game from discs?
Do you have STEAM on your pc? (not for HD2 but other games)

6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #18 by NL
btw I strongly doubt that the license key is actually the problem.
I just changed my own game key with a key generator (Stern version, not actually a generator but stores 100 keys) and I still got the same message.
Also used another key generator and same thing.

So I am starting to wonder if it could be the fact I have steam installed on my pc...

Before I changed my game key I checked my registry and it gave me my original key which I used with installation.
So my noob brain tells me the problem is on a different level than the registry key.

My key generators are very old, who can give me a link in a private message to a known working key generator? I'd like to make sure the problem is not with my old software.

• Lukasz birthday is in 10 days (41)