× Before posting here please make sure you have read our FAQ and if suitable our 'Play Online' and 'Create Server' tutorials

Please try to avoid general topic titles as: "Need help", "Problem occurred", etc.

HD2 - Steam version CD key problem - possible fix!

6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #25 by Nikita

Just for adding my 2 cents, i have to say that i experienced two times the same problem in 2016, and by using my own legal key.
Since i bought and play H&D2, i use the same original key that came with my game. Additionaly, i bought later a second copy so i own two legal keys.
I never used Steam or any other special stuff, you know i'm old school monkey.
One time i used a key generator for my buddy gamer Wolf, but this slacker doesn't feel it with H&D2, he's busy with 999 other games.
:mm3:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #26 by Ultimate Force
Replied by Ultimate Force on topic HD2 - Steam version CD key problem - possible fix!
There is definitely something very strange going on with having the steam version installed as well as the retail version.

I been getting cd key in use errors even when playing from the retail version after manually changing the key back to my game key that I purchased.

So i thought there was issues with my key.

But after some testing.

It seems my key provided by the retail disc is fine, no one is using it.

But its only fine after I completely uninstalled my steam version.

Steam Version Uninstalled:

I then freshly installed my retail version from discs.

And im using my retail key (Partially Shown):

I invite my steam friend:

And omgg, i can then actually play with a steam friend, without cd key issue.

So yayy, my retail key is fine. Just not sure why when the steam version of H&D2 is installed aswell on my pc, it keeps giving me the cd key in use error when playing from retail. Even after i manually changed the key back to retail in registry after loading the steam version. :o

So my only conclusion from this is that:
Having H&D2 uninstalled on steam, and having to clean install the retail copy is the only way so far for my original retail key to work without getting cd key already in use error when playing with others coming from steam when playing from disc. :o

While I have the steam version installed, and im not even using the steam version to play. I still cant play with steam players with retail key. Very odd

I dont know why. What strange things is steam doing? :undecided:

For reference: I am also on Windows 10 64bit
The following user(s) said Thank You: NL, ShayoX

6 years 3 months ago #27 by betteryouthanme
Replied by betteryouthanme on topic HD2 - Steam version CD key problem - possible fix!
Well it does work for me if i change the key after Steam has HD2 started. Bit complicated but come on how often a stable game like HD2 can possibly crash.. ;) :lol:

Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe - the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. Immanuel Kant
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman

6 years 3 months ago #28 by Stern

betteryouthanme wrote: Well it does work for me if i change the key after Steam has HD2 started. Bit complicated but come on how often a stable game like HD2 can possibly crash.. ;) :lol:

What about a program that detects when HD2 is running and then resets the CDkey to the one selected by user?

I already have a code to detect if HD2 is running, used for this:
https://www.rprclan.com/forum/22-general/2906-in-game-camera-position-display

The one who hesitates is lost !

6 years 3 months ago #29 by Maletzki
I've made the program which replaces the CD key in the registry.

Here's the download: hd2.mtb-clan.com/dl/hd2_key_read_change.zip

Please report any bugs!

PS: not compatible with Windows XP! .NET Framework 4.5 required

Playing H&D2 since 2007.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NL

6 years 3 months ago #30 by betteryouthanme
Replied by betteryouthanme on topic HD2 - Steam version CD key problem - possible fix!

Stern wrote:

betteryouthanme wrote: Well it does work for me if i change the key after Steam has HD2 started. Bit complicated but come on how often a stable game like HD2 can possibly crash.. ;) :lol:

What about a program that detects when HD2 is running and then resets the CDkey to the one selected by user?

I already have a code to detect if HD2 is running, used for this:
https://www.rprclan.com/forum/22-general/2906-in-game-camera-position-display

Am using a simple .reg file to change the key back, so i don't have to open registry every time.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Illusion Softworks\Hidden & Dangerous 2]
"key"="1111-2222-3333-4444"

If you execute the reg file the key gets changed to the one you have entered in the code (here as an example: 1111-2222-3333-4444)

Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe - the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. Immanuel Kant

• Lukasz birthday is in 6 days (41)